Author Topic: etherdongle rocks  (Read 1534 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
etherdongle rocks
« on: December 09, 2013, »
Thanks RJ for the etherdongle. Setup went great and the performance is much better than the original dongle. My mega tree has always had a notable lag during some very demanding spirals. Maybe it was because i was also running 102 channels of renard and was just doing to much over usb.

Regardless issue is gone now, and so happy to control lights over ethernet.
Now for the conductor, and sending data to all my neighbors houses via the internet!!!
JUst gotta figure out how to convince them to buy there own hardware??? :-(

Ya know, someone should coordinate the largest ever syncronized show.
All we need is a list of ip's, a master program with a simple setup, then each participant maps there own setup to make sense. Honestly, this should be relatively easy. Now how do we get guiness book of records to make it official and give RJ some credit for making it possible.

Do you think, between everyone on here, we have 10 million lights?
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: etherdongle rocks
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, »
Now that I have a volunteer to do the programming, I just need someone to setup and tear down my lights and it would be perfect.

The technology is very cool.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, »
I'm sure we can talk to the people at Guinness and coordinate something...maybe we put a plan forward for 2014 and pick a date. I was thinking at first Christmas Eve, but then with people travelling , perhaps we need to stay away from Dec 24,25,26,31.

I think the third Thursday in December at 9pm EST (not a weekend show, not too early that people in the Western part of the US can't join)...but then I was thinking what about the folks over in Australia, perhaps they want to join too....with it being dark for so many hours these days, perhaps we can find a time that lights-on works when it's dark.

I like the idea, but maybe i'm just over complicating it in my head...or I need my coffee.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, »
There is some complication and middeware that would be needed.
Need a start flag for the audio and everyone to have the same file, etc... etc...
All in the details.
If only I had time I would like to work on it.
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, »
Get an accurate NTP time and set a specific mark we all set up the same schedular for, some minor issues with hardware not firing off as quick as others, but just the delay in packets will through it off a bit.

Alan

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, »
Use one conductor hooked to the internet with firmware to use a public I.P. Then plug slaves in all over the world and the problem is solved. The conductor will run as many slaves as people want to connect to the internet.

We tried this at the academy last year but only had a couple of people. They wrote their seqence to the same song to their lights using their own 16,384 channels. No one had seen each others. Then we hooked them together and watch everyones sync and play.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, »
When is the next coop?

:)
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -