Author Topic: Zeus 8 no power :: Solved!!  (Read 2779 times)

Offline mitch09

Zeus 8 no power :: Solved!!
« on: December 10, 2013, »
I have assembled my Zeus 8 and applied 12 volt power but the LED does not light. Where should I start troubleshooting? I have a multimeter, should I be checking for voltage or continuity somewhere? I know the power supply is good, since it powers my 4-port hub no problem. I have reflowed all solder joints and don't believe it to be a soldering problem. I have built numerous Lynx devices and have never had a device not power on. Is there a way to check if the 3.3v LD1117c and  5v 7805 regulators are good? Also How do I check the capicitors? I am assuming I need to check these items as they are inline from the power to the LED.

Thanks,

Ryan
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, by mitch09 »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

Re: Zeus 8 no power
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, »
Are the regulators oriented correctly with the diagram on the PCB?  If they're correct, you can check the in and out voltages on the regulators.

With the board oriented so that the pixelnet universe selection jumpers are at the top of the board, the 7805 should have 12V across the left two pins (positive on left, ground in middle).  There should be 5V across the right two pins on the 7805 (ground in middle, positive on right).

The LD1117C should have 12V across the left and right pins (ground on left, positive on right).  There should be 3.3V across the left two pins (ground on left, positive in middle).

If you're getting all the right voltages on those, then it could be you just have the LED in backwards.  You can check for power at the LED itself to confirm.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, »
Checked voltages of both regulators. Replaced LED. Still no power.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, »
Where else could I check power? Could a capacitor be the culprit?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, »
Did you check the power at the input itself.  Measure it on the set screws.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, »
Power was good to the regulators.

He did get it working but hasn't updated the thread yet.  I think it was a solder bridge.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Power was good to the regulators.

He did get it working but hasn't updated the thread yet.  I think it was a solder bridge.

I ended up cutting the LED off the board. Not the problem, but when I did, I also thoroughly cleaned the board with air. Now it works. It must have been a fine piece of left over metal or solder causing a bridge somewhere.