Author Topic: New Whole House Effect!  (Read 3641 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
New Whole House Effect!
« on: December 11, 2013, »
I want to say that this is an awesome addition! Thanks to the entire Xlights\Nutcracker team!  <res.

Offline bassmants

Re: New Whole House Effect!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, »
Didn't see that, where/what is it?

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, »
Latest release. 3.2.11 Watch the copy and paste tutorial!

Offline bassmants

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, »
OK, thanks.

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Latest release. 3.2.11 Watch the copy and paste tutorial!

in the latest tutorial i talked about

1) Cut, Copy, Paste  and how it works
2) Setting up a model for your entire house. This allows applying effects to everything. one caveat, this year this whole house model does NOT have the x,y location so you cant do things like a butterfly moving left to right across the display. you can apply twinkle, maybe spirals. it will look pretty good, just not perfect. next year will get a whole house model with x,y location.

when you have two models for the same channels, you will notice that we render left to right in the grid. have your whole house model be last.

so example:

megatree, arches, whole house model

set whole house model to "none,none" and it wont effect the earlier columns.

when you want the whole house model to kick in, just add an effect. since we render models left to right, if whole house is last it will override the earlier models.

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, »
If you have Xenon Strobes in your display, be careful. The rapid on/off will not be good for them or the TRIACs on the controller.

If you have LED strobes, you should be OK.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, »
nice tutorial, Sean!

wrt the whole-house effect:

What about the situation where your RGB pixels do not align with Red every 3rd pixel?
with universe boundaries, with 4-channel floods, and gaps, it is likely a large display will not work as desired.  maybe a buttrerfly effect may not be noticeable, but a color wash would be a problem.

ie: I'm suggesting that not every channel will fit the formula: 

RED if ((channel mod 3)==1)
GREEN if ((channel mod 3)==2)
BLUE if ((channel mod 3)==0)

at first thought, it might make sense to have multiple strings in the matrix with each string starting at the Red channel, but with different lengths, the matrix does not "fit" the problem.

thoughts?

click "individual start channels" and adjust starting channels for each of your strings.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, by smeighan »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline drlucas

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, »
having the ability to sweep across a house from corner to corner is going to be awesome - looking forward to seeing it in the future.... I'm with Steve on the enhancement around floods and I am hoping a future version of xlights has a 4 channel model in it for those aethers. When I do my testing, I always uncheck the white channel because I think there is something wrong with the aether, then remember the white channel getting in the way
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, »
having the ability to sweep across a house from corner to corner is going to be awesome - looking forward to seeing it in the future.... I'm with Steve on the enhancement around floods and I am hoping a future version of xlights has a 4 channel model in it for those aethers. When I do my testing, I always uncheck the white channel because I think there is something wrong with the aether, then remember the white channel getting in the way

Oh... I just remembered another gotcha.  I programmed my SSCs with hybrid mode to allow me the option of simplifying my sequencing later.  In the end, hybrid gets in the way because when the hybrid channels get used, the channels later in the string get ignored. 

I plan to remove hybrid before next year's show.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, »

Oh... I just remembered another gotcha.  I programmed my SSCs with hybrid mode to allow me the option of simplifying my sequencing later.  In the end, hybrid gets in the way because when the hybrid channels get used, the channels later in the string get ignored. 

we could make it so we skip the first 3 channels ona  string, it will need some thought how to make the ui intuitive.

i dont use the hybrid mode but some do
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, »

we could make it so we skip the first 3 channels ona  string, it will need some thought how to make the ui intuitive.

i dont use the hybrid mode but some do

Is there a way to restrict the list of channels to those which are defined in other models?
Maybe a model-aggregator that takes a list of models to build a new one?

If you could limit the channels to what is defined elsewhere, you can avoid the hybrid channels and W-hite channels.  Those other models would be created without the problem channels.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, »
I decided to remove my hybrid channels this year and then I found out I did not have enough time to fix all the areas where I used in hybrid and had to go back and put the hybrid channels back in.  fortunately I did not compress my channels and the space for the first 3 channels was still there.  The next challenge was to be able to turn them off in xlights.  I created a separate model for the hybrid channels calling it a 3 channel RGB entry and then I could put a black color wash there to turn them off in an old sequence as I started to use nutcracker to put new effects in.  Don't know if that is the best way to do it, but it seems to work.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, »
That's a good idea, I need to make a model with my string mode hybrid channels in it !
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, »
I have to say I'm addicted to the models in xlights/nutcracker .... Esp. The ability to put in various channel starts so the channels don't have to be contiguous,

One question, on a custom model ... It appears those channels have to be contiguous .... Is there a way to specify the channel #'s for a custom model ?   
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]