Author Topic: Anyone still scrambling?  (Read 2818 times)

Offline drlucas

Re: Anyone still scrambling?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, »
Wow...that storm left 8" here....it must of really picked up steam over Lake Ontario...I was talking to a few guys from Nova Scotia at work on Friday and they were getting ready for it.

Get a 4' piece of rebar and a big hammer and then stick a 3/4" piece of PVC over it and then screw the cg1500 onto it.

this weekend we have 40-50degrees upon us so it's all going to melt. I'm worried about a few things, but will see how it goes!!
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, »
Thanks for the reminder of why I moved south.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, »
Finished building and testing the last of my elements.  Got another 1" of snow last night so about 10" on the ground here.  Forecast is optimistic for late week so I have a shot.  I am getting tons of calls and bs about being late...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline drlucas

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, »
Note to self..look at rules around US citizenship. I guess the easiest way is to marry a US gal, mind you that would also be a VERY costly approach.  At least fall is almost over and then only three months of winter before spring gets here. My fingers crossed already for the groundhog.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline arw01

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Note to self..look at rules around US citizenship. I guess the easiest way is to marry a US gal, mind you that would also be a VERY costly approach.  At least fall is almost over and then only three months of winter before spring gets here. My fingers crossed already for the groundhog.

Do you want us to get started with the on-line dating profile?   >:D

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Question I'm pondering: Do I troubleshoot the Splitter or do I just pull 50 extra feet of Cat5 (which, ironically, I have in reserve just for something like this)?

I've compromised for the last three nights -- I took out a single element in order to cable in six elements.

This morning I pulled the splitter out of the cabinet and put it on the bench. Checked the AC on the near side of the bridge rectifier and all was well. Checked the DC on the far side of the rectifier and nada. Rummaged around for a spare DF01, replaced it and the splitter began splitting again.

Now I can put back the cabling the way it's supposed to be.

Of course, the next problem is taking down a PVC pipe full of pixels and splicing out the dead one ...

\dmc

Offline drlucas

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, »
Oh boy. Splicing pixels. Is this the first bad one in the string or a common occurrence. I had two strings of 100 that ended up with 20 bad nodes in them. It was messy. Got  the entire strings replaced and life is better. Knock wood.

I was smart I think when I mounted on the PVC as I used zip ties and didn't get too tight I could easily slide them out and replace.

Hope your splicing adventures are less adventurous then mine were.

-Ryan Lucas-

Offline zwiller

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, »
Had a good evening of prep.  All remaining element channels programmed and tested.  Ready for install.  Target is Thursday when temps should rise and the 10" of snow will melt (mostly). 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, »
Wow, Sam, you really are late this year.  Did Ray's shipping delay set you back that far, or did the OCD creep in and get you?  I'm not happy with any of the sequences, but they are running and I plan to tweak them a little bit more for next year after I make it up to 7 not perfect.  Maybe by january 1 when I plan to take it down at least 2 will be no longer needing some tweaks.

Plotting on next years additions, just don't know what they will be yet.

Alan

Offline zwiller

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, »
It was the perfect storm of Ray's delays, work, weather, and family events.  I did lose last weekend to OCD: Found out you have to inject power on 20+ rectangular modules to get full white to look good.  Fairly confident that once all is running I will more fun waiting for me...