Author Topic: 4 port passive hub and universe 2  (Read 1586 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
4 port passive hub and universe 2
« on: December 13, 2013, »
How do I use a 4 port passive hub in universe 2?  I am assuming I must hook it up to an SSC port on a 16 port hub set to universe 2 and not to the pixelnet out port which would contain the signals for all the universes since there is no universe selection on the 4 port hub.  This appears to be something that ought to be documented in the wiki someplace like the function and use manual.  I am going to try this once I get of the computer so I will have my answer in a little while, but thought I better post this as well.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

Re: 4 port passive hub and universe 2
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, »
Correct, or you can modify the pixelnet cable to bring the universe 2 over on the pair the passive hub is looking for.

Steve Gasse has a post about that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, »
I use a combiner backwards.
Have Fun!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, »
The 4 port hub was not designed to be used independently.  It was designed to give more ports to an existing 16 port hub and has universe selection and no Pixelnet output.  It also doesn't have a termination resistor.  As others have said, you can use a combiner in reverse or make a custom cable putting the pair for the universe that you want it to be on in positions 1 and 2 on the RJ45 connector. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The 4 port hub was not designed to be used independently.  It was designed to give more ports to an existing 16 port hub and has universe selection and no Pixelnet output.  It also doesn't have a termination resistor.

Why would it need a termination resistor?  If it has devices connected to it then it doesn't need to be terminated.  If it doesn't have devices plugged into it, then unplug it.

Also, while not the original intended use, I think the 4-port hub makes a great entry point for people wanting to dip their toes in the RGB water.  Combine it with a USB Pixelnet Dongle and a few SSC's or DSC's and you have 4-string RGB control for under $100.  Throw in a few strands of lights and you have RGB lights for under $200.

It also makes for a great bench setup.  USB Dongle -> 4-port Hub -> Pixelnet to DMX Converter and I can test Pixelnet/SSC/DSC/DMX devices without having to have an Active Hub and PC Power Supply sitting at at my desk.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, »
I think a universe selector would an awesome upgrade since I see enough posts about using one from a different universe feeding it.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, »
Maybe a small different pcb with 5 rj 45 jacks. Jumpers on 4 of them for outputs to allow you to split 1-4 universes off any jack. Not intended for running a ssc directly, just to get the pixelnet spread around.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, »
Maybe a small different pcb with 5 rj 45 jacks. Jumpers on 4 of them for outputs to allow you to split 1-4 universes off any jack. Not intended for running a ssc directly, just to get the pixelnet spread around.

Except for jumpers, isn't it a combiner?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, »
I was thinking simplicity with no power required and the splitter still leaves the issue for a different universe to be available to a passive hub.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, »
I was thinking simplicity with no power required and the splitter still leaves the issue for a different universe to be available to a passive hub.

The splitter does need power.  I the splitter copies the signal and fixes degradation.

I was suggesting the (de)combiner... no power, and it breaks the 4 pixelnet pairs into their 4 separate components.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, »

Why would you need or even want to do that?  Both of the hubs and the Zeus have the ability to select what universe they are working with so what would be the need to seperate them?  Depending on your layout, that could create a confusing web of signal cables running all over the place.  There already is a PixelNet splitter that sends all of the universes out of multiple ports.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving