Author Topic: Has anyone tested a PixaBulb with v3 or v4 SSC?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline keitha43

Given the abysmal performance of the Technicolor node I was curious if anyone is running these. I have yet to see any complaints about waterproofing or node failure on the various forums. Unfortunately they cost about twice as much as a Ray node but it may be worth it seeing the problems some had with the new Technicolor strings. They are 12v but use the WS2811 chips so I don't know if they run at the correct speed to be compatible with RJ's SSC's(my preferred equipment). They look similar to a LOR cosmic color bulb shape. It has 2 of the 5050 leds potted in that clear resin type stuff.

Offline tbone321

Re: Has anyone tested a PixaBulb with v3 or v4 SSC?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, »
Do you have any pics or a link to these nodes?  I will probably order some samples in late winter for looks and testing and late winter should be a good time.  This gives Ray enough time to work out the bugs if he can and the weather is close enough to what it is like around Christmas to give them a fair test outdoors to see if they hold up to it.  I don't mind spending a little more for the nodes if the quality is there rather than pulling my hair out trying to get to nodes that are beyond reach.  Even at twice the price, they may be worth that.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, »
I sent you a pm. Don't want to break any rules!

Offline deplanche

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, »
I used these indoors for both Halloween and Christmas, and have not had a problem with them yet.  I have only 1 light per controller (I have them looking like a candle in each window), so I can't say if they are good in strings or not.  But no problems thus far with the way I am using them.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I used these indoors for both Halloween and Christmas, and have not had a problem with them yet.  I have only 1 light per controller (I have them looking like a candle in each window), so I can't say if they are good in strings or not.  But no problems thus far with the way I am using them.
What SSC version were you using with it?

Offline deplanche

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, »
I used both V1 (unmodified) and V4.  Both worked without problem.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, »
Thanks

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, »
It's a shame the technicolors performed they way they did this year.  The price and design is hard to beat, BUT it's not worth it if they don't work properly.

Wish there was more testing done with SSCs and pixabulbs as they seem to have worked solid for many people.  It's a shame they're almost twice as much as the technicolors.  I've also looked at these, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which would appear to work with SSCs.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, by txag2008 »

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, »
The square nodes work just fine, I have 2 sets and used them for a month on a bush.

I have heard pixabulbs work just fine with SSC v4, but have not seen an actual post, it was friend of mine confirmation type.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, »

I used the pixabulbs on my inside tree this year.  I ran them with xLights generated sequences, though I did use a non DLA controller.

Offline arw01

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, »
Would you rate them as brighter than most?  And how about color purity?  How would you rate the quality of the assembly and such on them?

and most importantly, would you buy more?

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, »

Would you rate them as brighter than most?  And how about color purity?  How would you rate the quality of the assembly and such on them?

and most importantly, would you buy more?

About as bright as my other pixels, but better looking with the raspberry lense. They look like a cross between a C7 and C9. I don't even know what color purity is, lol, but I liked the colors.  Assembly was good. Pretty uniform with 3 wire waterproof connectors on both ends. I have  8 strings of 25 and they all look identical.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, »
I hear good things about the pixabulbs, but at almost $/1 node, that's hard to swallow.

Offline arw01

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, »
Yes, unless they last a lot longer, one would hope.  Also they have 18 gauge wire vs smaller on most strings.  I have not found out if they are UV protected, would like to know that too.

Also if you think $1.00 a bulb is tough, the pricing I have found on the Minleon bulbs is at $2.00 a bulb for 22 gauge wire, but you can apparently drive a car over them (seen the video) and they are uv stabilized and been tested for a couple of years in full sun with no visible effect.  So in the long run, which becomes a better investment is a toughy.

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, »
I received three strings of pixabulbs yesterday, that I picked up unused. They worked great with a ssc v4 running a few nutcracker routines, like chase, twinkle, butterfly, etc. Quite bright up in the tree from 60 to 70 feet away.  Even though the tree is massive, I'm encouraged that 600 to a 1000 of this size bulb and brightness might still be impressive in in the "mega" tree.

Alan
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, by arw01 »