Author Topic: LOR integration  (Read 1410 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
LOR integration
« on: December 15, 2013, »
So I'm having some pretty good results taking last year's LOR .lms sequence files and bringing them into xlights using the "open sequence" + "LOR sequence" import option, then tweaking the timing marks (or deleting all but first and last, then adding my own) ... then apply nutcracker effects to my new RGB models I added to the show this year.

Lets say I'm bringing in white_christmas.lms and creating a white_christmas.xml and white_christmas.xseq .  All is good.

Of course, what inevitably happens is I find that my LOR config file for this year ... had some issues, like wrong DMX channels assigned to one or more display elements.  So I fix those issues (in LOR), create a new LOR config, then apply that to the original white_christmas.lms file. 

So my question is -- is there any way to basically take the new .lms file and re-attached it to my current xlights .xml and .xseq without having to redo everything from scratch?

I'm kind of afraid I have to redo everythimg, but I could easily be overthinking this and missing the obvious.

I'm thinking it would be wonderful if there is a way to just reload the .lms and apply the .xml file to it somehow.  Kind of like how when you do a new sequence, you can select xml file
and it puts the two together.  I'm just wondering how people do this, as for me -- having to go back and tweak/fix the original LOR .lms is an unfortunate reality .

Thanks in advance,
Scott / taybrynn
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline doubleeaz

Re: LOR integration
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, »
Here is the process I followed.  I think it was shown in one of Sean's videos.  Convert the new .lms file to xseq.  Then go to the Nutcracker tab and open the new xseq file, which automatically opens the XML file with nutcracker effects.  Then save.  You can now export and the changes to the lms file are included.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, »
You might try creating a model for the DMX element and then changing it in nutcracker.  I have been doing a little of that, but I also created my dmx elements in order to create a new sequence 100% in NC.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, »
THanks again!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, »
I am not asking for help or anything -- just reporting my experience to share with others.

For me, once I get into xlights ... I'm not really able to go back to LOR to make any fixes if I find problems with my original LOR .lms sequence.

My original 26 MB LOR .lms file returned from xlights (export to LOR) as a 177 MB .lms file for all 32 universes.

On the plus side: 
- I can open it in LOR
- It is in 32k channel order (kind of nice)
- It has channels labeled, provided I have a model defined for those channels
- its pretty nice to see the detailed sequencing information -- I have a snowflake channel going nuts on one song, it confirms that this sequencing exists
  (but the problem is I don't know where this "ghost" sequencing came from ... its not in the original LOR .lms sequence and I didn't apply any models in xlights
   against that channel range (that I'm aware of
) ) ... this might be an issue with xlights, or might be an issue with one of my models
   UPDATE: solved ghost sequencing, I was adding sequencing in xlights to these spinner but it didn't like the model type I used.  I changed the model type and now they are all sequencing properly !!

On the downside:
- lost all groups and organization within LOR
- some objects not in contiguous channels are going to be difficult to find
- it seems that if/when I re-import back to xlights ... then I will lose the xlight sequencing information (models, timings, etc.)
- seems that LOR no longer has any information on channel #, a device type or a universe# ... just channel name labels  [ xlights may not need this info? ]
- the biggie: the re-import of the 177MB LOR .lms into xlights doesn't appear to work ... even using the straight .lms file created by xlights export (without any mods)

It does appear I might be able to create a LOR config file in LOR to organized this 32k galaxy and import that config in ... since it appears the .lms files from xlights will always be in 32k pixelnet channel order from 1 to 32k.

Anyways, just sharing this because I knew the marriage would not be perfect.  I'm really not sure its practical for this many channels to go back to LOR just to fix a few things ... as when I return to xlights ... I then lose the metadata I had there on how xlights sequenced things.  Again, trading one problem for another.

In my head, it feels like it would much better (some day) ...  if I could just go back and just repair/replace the original LOR .lms file ... then redo the "bolt on" to the xlights .xml for that song (like you can do with a new musical sequence .mp3 and an xlights .xml).

NOTE: I did try to re-import back into xlights from the xlights_exported .lms file ... and it imports but nothing happens ... it asks for the models and then no timing events created ... its basically toast upon the re-import into xlights.  So I don't think fixing and re-importing works ... at least not for a giant 32k sequence.

Scott
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, by taybrynn »

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, »
I am not asking for help or anything -- just reporting my experience to share with others.

For me, once I get into xlights ... I'm not really able to go back to LOR to make any fixes if I find problems with my original LOR .lms sequence.

My original 26 MB LOR .lms file returned from xlights (export to LOR) as a 177 MB .lms file for all 32 universes.

On the plus side: 
- I can open it in LOR
- It is in 32k channel order (kind of nice)
- It has channels labeled, provided I have a model defined for those channels
- its pretty nice to see the detailed sequencing information -- I have a snowflake channel going nuts on one song, it confirms that this sequencing exists
  (but the problem is I don't know where this "ghost" sequencing came from ... its not in the original LOR .lms sequence and I didn't apply any models in xlights
   against that channel range (that I'm aware of
) ) ... this might be an issue with xlights, or might be an issue with one of my models

On the downside:
- lost all groups and organization within LOR
- some objects not in contiguous channels are going to be difficult to find
- it seems that if/when I re-import back to xlights ... then I will lose the xlight sequencing information (models, timings, etc.)
- seems that LOR no longer has any information on channel #, a device type or a universe# ... just channel name labels  [ xlights may not need this info? ]
- the biggie: the re-import of the 177MB LOR .lms into xlights doesn't appear to work ... even using the straight .lms file created by xlights export (without any mods)

It does appear I might be able to create a LOR config file in LOR to organized this 32k galaxy and import that config in ... since it appears the .lms files from xlights will always be in 32k pixelnet channel order from 1 to 32k.

Anyways, just sharing this because I knew the marriage would not be perfect.  I'm really not sure its practical for this many channels to go back to LOR just to fix a few things ... as when I return to xlights ... I then lose the metadata I had there on how xlights sequenced things.  Again, trading one problem for another.

In my head, it feels like it would much better (some day) ...  if I could just go back and just repair/replace the original LOR .lms file ... then redo the "bolt on" to the xlights .xml for that song (like you can do with a new musical sequence .mp3 and an xlights .xml).

NOTE: I did try to re-import back into xlights from the xlights_exported .lms file ... and it imports but nothing happens ... it asks for the models and then no timing events created ... its basically toast upon the re-import into xlights.  So I don't think fixing and re-importing works ... at least not for a giant 32k sequence.

Scott

try this process.

1) Import your lms file into xlights
2) Add models and effects for new additional rgb channels.

if you want to change the original lor file, go back make changes in LOR. Now bring teh updated lms file into xlights using the 2nd option of Open, LOR Sequence to bring the updated file back in.
Your xlight sequences should be all there and the new data will overwrite only the LOR channel range. This is because the LOR Sequence import does NOT overwrite the xlights xml file, it just updates the xseq file.

be sure to do a "File,Backup" before messing with anything so you have backups. Remember that "File,Backup" backups every single zlights/nutcracker sequence you have.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, »
I will try that Sean -- thanks so-o-o much !!!

BTW, saw your show last night -- looked great !!

The arches on the fence makes it a lot easier to find your house.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, »
Thanks again Sean, the process you describe works great.

I basically just go back and change the original LOR .lms file, then redo the LOR import ... but instead of it creating timings from the LOR file,
as you said it updates the LOR data only and I'm still left with everything I had done in xlights -- WONDERFUL !!!

This was my #1 concern and it handles it (just didn't know it did) !!

Scott