Author Topic: Do I have to use custom models  (Read 1831 times)

Offline MrChristmas2000

Do I have to use custom models
« on: December 16, 2013, »
I am trying to come back up to speed on using Nutcracker.

I have 13 arches that each have 105 real nodes and 1 control node for each arch. The control node is the first node of the arch.

Will I either have to define each arch as a separate model or do a custom arches model for this configuration?

If I make a model for each arch will I be able to do a chase from one arch to another across all the arches?

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: Do I have to use custom models
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, »
So, if I understand what you're asking, 13 arches, with 3 "control" channels for each arch.  Sounds like Dumb String/Strips?

When defining your model, if you change the type of string to 3 Channel RGB, Nutcracker automatically configures the channels and model.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, »
Are you referring to using hybrid mode where the first 3 channels on each arch is for string level control?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, »
if you are using smart strings

build your model as
13x105 arches
then click "individual start channels" and go and set the real starting channel for each of the 13 arches.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, »
Sean to the rescue !!

individual start channels is probably my favorite feature for models -- love it !!!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tindivall

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, »
what are "control" nodes?

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, »
if you are using smart strings

build your model as
13x105 arches
then click "individual start channels" and go and set the real starting channel for each of the 13 arches.

This takes care of the fact that my 13th arch is on a totally different block of addresses than the other 12.  <res.

Yes these arches are programmed in the hybrid mode.

If I want to program the control channels then I could build the model as 13x1 again with individual start channels for switching the arches mode if desired.

The arches operate in an individual pixel mode and in a 8 segment mode (like old arches were) to cover older sequences before I have time to update them.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm off to try building that setup.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, »
I have one model for string mode (control) channels only and then the other model for node mode control. 

Not having to use contiguous addresses is super powerful !!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, »
New scenario.

I have candy cane poles that have RGB elements in the top of each pole located between each of my arches.

What would be the best way to model these, as single RGB elements? That is the only way I can think of and be able to place them on the preview view individually. The bad thing I can see is the in the preview these will show up as just tiny dots. Is there any way to enlarge them to something other than just a dot?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, »
New scenario.

I have candy cane poles that have RGB elements in the top of each pole located between each of my arches.

What would be the best way to model these, as single RGB elements? That is the only way I can think of and be able to place them on the preview view individually. The bad thing I can see is the in the preview these will show up as just tiny dots. Is there any way to enlarge them to something other than just a dot?

This is the same issue I have with modeling 16 3 color mini trees.  I would like them to show on the preview as more than dots.  I feel your pain.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, »
Think I have it figured out.

You have to build a custom model for each element.

To get something to be more than a dot you have to say define it as a 3 x 3 grid then put a 1 in each of the custom grid cells. This makes all of those cells respond identically.

The down side is that I have to do it for all 14 Candy Cane ball lights. They just have to be square in the visualizer. LOL.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, »
Think I have it figured out.

You have to build a custom model for each element.

To get something to be more than a dot you have to say define it as a 3 x 3 grid then put a 1 in each of the custom grid cells. This makes all of those cells respond identically.

The down side is that I have to do it for all 14 Candy Cane ball lights. They just have to be square in the visualizer. LOL.

if you feel comfortable editing xml, just copy the first to make the other copies.  adjust the name(s) and the channel numbers for each copy.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tindivall

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, »
In the Models area there is a copy button... once you created 1 could you not just hit copy.....   say you have your first called Cane1... hit copy it will come up Cane1 - Copy and then you just rename to Cane2 etc...

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, »
In the Models area there is a copy button... once you created 1 could you not just hit copy.....   say you have your first called Cane1... hit copy it will come up Cane1 - Copy and then you just rename to Cane2 etc...

That's a better way.   ::)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, »
Thanks.

Now I have to decided whether I can easily add in my incandescent light elements and easily sequence them in Nutcracker.