Author Topic: Single Strand setup/question  (Read 1144 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Single Strand setup/question
« on: December 16, 2013, »
With the new single line effects functionality can you have an string defined as an individual model and also have that same string defined within another single strand configuration? 
I have 3 separate RGB single strand models defined.
     â€˜East Yard – 93 node’ string starting on channel 1
     â€˜Roof – 95 node’ string starting on channel 280
     â€˜West Yard – 82 node’ string starting on channel 565

I then went and added another model in order to encompass all of the strings into one model.  I assigned it start channel 1.

Can I have multiple models that are essentially using the same channel #'s?  In this situation I would try to do chases and effects with the individual single strands, but in the same sequence be able to do single strand effects across the entire configuration.  Would I just need to make sure and not have an effect playing at the same time?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Single Strand setup/question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, »
You can assign the same channels to multiple models.

How they get applied if you were to apply effects to them all -- I'm not sure the order of operations there.

I was thinking it would nice to take the base sequencing, then apply xlights mode sequencing on top of that (supercedes original sequencing).

But your question makes me think --- do models need a priority to determine how to apply them if overlap occurs?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, »
With the new single line effects functionality can you have an string defined as an individual model and also have that same string defined within another single strand configuration? 
I have 3 separate RGB single strand models defined.
     â€˜East Yard – 93 node’ string starting on channel 1
     â€˜Roof – 95 node’ string starting on channel 280
     â€˜West Yard – 82 node’ string starting on channel 565

I then went and added another model in order to encompass all of the strings into one model.  I assigned it start channel 1.

Can I have multiple models that are essentially using the same channel #'s?  In this situation I would try to do chases and effects with the individual single strands, but in the same sequence be able to do single strand effects across the entire configuration.  Would I just need to make sure and not have an effect playing at the same time?

yes, but if you have two columns that have models defining the same channel range, you are responsible to make sure only one of those models are active.

How? By using "None,None" as an effect.

if your picture you left cells blank. This does not do what you may think. a blank cell says to continue the last effect from above it .
"None,None" says to not generate anything.

if you really want a cell to turn the lights off (generate black), then use colorwash with 1 color=BLACK.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, »
yes, but if you have two columns that have models defining the same channel range, you are responsible to make sure only one of those models are active.

How? By using "None,None" as an effect.

if your picture you left cells blank. This does not do what you may think. a blank cell says to continue the last effect from above it .
"None,None" says to not generate anything.

Thanks for the quick replies.

So the below way would be the correct way to sequence it in order to work correctly?

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, »
that looks correct. your 3 individual models have effets or your all model has an effect but not both.

how does it play on your lights?
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, »
that looks correct. your 3 individual models have effets or your all model has an effect but not both.

how does it play on your lights?

I haven't tested it yet.  I've had the 3 individual models working great for the past week and just added the 'ALL model' this morning.  I'm not sure how the actual lights look, I'll have to report back this evening.  The preview doesn't look correct though as it shows my 'All model' behaving as a combination of the 3 individual models instead of being turned off.

THANKS Sean!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, by txag2008 »

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, »
I have it up and running with the way you recommended.  Lights look great. 

Thanks again!