Author Topic: Smart String for Dummies?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Opopanax

Smart String for Dummies?
« on: December 17, 2013, »
So I started with the Lynx Express three years ago. I started with two boxes and I got three more waiting for me to put them together.

I'm really fascinated with the RGB LEDs. I love the look of the cosmic ribbons but the price tag is simply too staggering... plus I like having the excuse to go into the garage and fiddle.

I'll love try to do Smart Strings as a cosmic ribbon alternative. I've done some searching for a Smart String guide to get me started. I've found some nice information pieces, but my knowledge level is still pretty low. I was proud I was able to solder my express boards and set something up in Vixen to play my first year:)

Anyone seen good collection of pieces to get started with building and using Smart strings?

Offline keitha43

Re: Smart String for Dummies?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, »
There is lots of information in the wiki.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, »
Yep, read the wiki.  I think a good starter kit for smart gear is a 4 port hub and a SSC.  You will need a 12VDC power source for the 4 port and lights (ask a member for some in the for sale area once you get the above).  From there you could reflash your dongle to pixelnet and get a taste of it.  SS gear is highly addictive and flex strips are insanely cool BUT there is a learning curve...  Can be frustrated at times but totally worth it IMO.  My house outline is flex strip except the columns: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, »
I would not recomend the 4 port hub for this.  While it sounds like a good idea, it is a vey limited device and will require a more expensive 12V supply.  He would be better with the 16 port active hub.  This way he still has his DMX output for those LE's and all he needs to do is flash his dongle for PixelNet.  This also gives him much more room for expansion. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline lightsoncallaway

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, »
+1 on the active hub.  DMX output and pixelnet with greater flexibility.

Offline Opopanax

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, »
Wow thanks for the fast replies folks. I did go through the wiki and I think I understand the concept of the smart strings, but for some reason things just weren't syncing in my brain :)

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, »
Maybe even a Zeus kit.

However the flexibility with a active hub and some ssc and dsc is a great way to tinker. I thought the active hub was a much easier build then the LE but I was about 6 months into the hobby before my first hub arrived to assemble.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, »
Points about the 4 port being limited are well made.  I suggested it because it's cheap and the store has the boards in stock...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, »
The active hub with its built in pixelnet splitter really saved me this year!  I also love the flexibility it gives you.  Get an etherdongle to serve as the interface between computer and active hub.   One string of SS nodes from the wiki is a good starting point.  For those on a budget you can cut that string up into smaller strings and really get a lot of mileage of even on string of ss nodes.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, »
Wiki is a good starting point, but for some reason it feels like the WIKI has been outdated.

Looking on the forum there are soo much talk about different types of strings and different types of chips (none mentioned in wiki), also with the new issues of each pixel pulling more mA than before. None of this is mentioned but instead all over the place in many different threads.

I do realized the strings designed by RJ are shown on the WIKI, but it would be great to see the alternative strings and maybe the smart string forum have sub groups (areas) for the different types of strings being used separated from the actual hardware instead of it all jumbled together in one place.

just a thought

There is lots of information in the wiki.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, »
The problem with that is that with some things changing so fast, it could turn the WIKI into a disorganized jumbled mess.  I would wait until things settle down and the garbage fades away before adding to the WIKI. 

Offline Opopanax

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, »
Okay... I think I'm getting it:) I understand the pixel/node/and channel stuff. It's just going through all the darn hardware. So here's a bunch of questions - sorry if it's a bit random, but it's the gaps I have after reading the wiki and watching various videos. Let me know if these should be in separate posts.

So I get it goes Computer -> Dongle -> Hub -> SSC -> Lights

What I"m not clear on is some of the hardware options in there. Drlucas mentioned the zeuss setup. The wiki says "(SSCs & Hub)" -- does that mean if I go with zeuss I don't need to also buy the controllers that RJ puts right on his strings in those PVC tubes?

Am I also correct the pixelNet is like DMX - I just need to have a software that outputs pixelnet, my dongle (used currently for lynx express) flashed to output pixelnet?

What's the difference between and Active vs a Passive hub?

RJ demo uses Vixen in his Smart String demo. It's the software that I've been using but I've been under 100 channels so far. Since each node can be 3 channels the idea of managing all those rows in Vixen begins to boggle my mind:) Any other software out there that may be a bit more user friendly when it comes to managing all those channels with RGB?

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, »
You are getting it.
1. Zeus is basically a active hub and SSC controller all in one.  Great for short CAT5 runs. Like on a Smart Mega Tree.
2. Active hub has a DMX signal and passive hub will not.
3. The LE (express) uses a DMX signal
4 Zeus or SSC ( PVC things) use Pixelnet. Two totally different things.
5. Difference between Zeus and SSC off active or passive hub
     A. The run of cat5 from a hub to an SSC can be 100 ft and the RGB nodes are controlled at the string. the Zeus controls at the Zues and cat5 can be a few feet. I have less than 6 feet on my Smart mega tree. 
6. I use Vixen to run my lights at 8172 channels no problem.
I have 512 DMX in universe1 and use about 285 of them with SSRs, LE, Freestyles, Aethers II. The rest run SSC star and SSC horizontal matrix.  Universe 2 is my Zues and SS mega tree in a flat style build. 

I hope this helps?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, »
Okay... I think I'm getting it:) I understand the pixel/node/and channel stuff. It's just going through all the darn hardware. So here's a bunch of questions - sorry if it's a bit random, but it's the gaps I have after reading the wiki and watching various videos. Let me know if these should be in separate posts.

So I get it goes Computer -> Dongle -> Hub -> SSC -> Lights

What I"m not clear on is some of the hardware options in there. Drlucas mentioned the zeuss setup. The wiki says "(SSCs & Hub)" -- does that mean if I go with zeuss I don't need to also buy the controllers that RJ puts right on his strings in those PVC tubes?

The Zeus is a combination hub and multiple controller but it is used for specific items like megatrees.  While the distance between the hub and the controller can be large like 100 feet, the dstance between the controller and the first node is rather short like around 6 feet or so.  Since the Zeus is both the hub and string controller, the first node of each string needs to b close to the Zeus.  Wile this works well for specific items, the hub - SSC method offer the most flexability.

Am I also correct the pixelNet is like DMX - I just need to have a software that outputs pixelnet, my dongle (used currently for lynx express) flashed to output pixelnet?

Software is not the correct word.  Vixen is software and it doesn't know or care what the communication protocol is.  What you need is the correct firmware flashed into your dongle for it to output PixelNet.

What's the difference between and Active vs a Passive hub?

A active hub has the ability to convert part of your PixelNet universe into a DMX universe.  This is needed for your LE's.  The passive hub just outputs Pixelnet

RJ demo uses Vixen in his Smart String demo. It's the software that I've been using but I've been under 100 channels so far. Since each node can be 3 channels the idea of managing all those rows in Vixen begins to boggle my mind:) Any other software out there that may be a bit more user friendly when it comes to managing all those channels with RGB?

Nutcracker has many effects that make working with RGB and massive channel counts much easier.  The output frm Nutcracker can be placed into your Vixen sequences.  XLights also works well with this.  The newer versions of Vixen are also more geared to RGB.  LSP also has features here but it is not free and IMHO, rather expensive but the people that use it seem to like it.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, »
Zeus is perfect for a matrix or an rgb megatree.   But it lacks a second pixelnet out that the active hub has.   It also has no dmx.  It's a more specialized board and less flexible by comparison.   If you have a Zeus then no need for the PVC enclosed ssc's at that location ... But lights need to be within 10' of the Zeus . 

The two pixelnet outs and the dmx out makes the ss active hub very versatile, IMHO.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]