Author Topic: Not sure whats wrong!?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
Not sure whats wrong!?
« on: December 17, 2013, »
Hey All. Having a bit of a problem. The show has been running fine since December 1st. However, tonight the lights would "freeze". Vixen is showing as still running the program. The music still plays. Just no blinky blinky.

As far as my vixen options go I have it set to use a profile settings. As I said above all has been fine except for tonight. I had to completely shut down vixen and reschedule the show three times this evening.

Any Ideas?
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
Re: Not sure whats wrong!?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, »
What equipment are you running. I had my wireless transmitter to far from the receivers and it would start off ok but would like freeze but move just a little once in a while. If your using dmx and a usb dongle get the dmx deck. Try it the next time vixen freezes to verify your windows machine is very not dropping the usb dongle.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, »
All the cables good to/from PC to controller? Maybe best to start with troubleshooting from xlights as that's the easiest place to start.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, »
As others have said, it would help to know what equipment you are using.  What type of PC, dongle type, wired or wireless.  Each component can have its issues and it is hard to guess when all you know is the software.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, »
Are you using Vixen 2.1 or 2.5 to run your show?

Have you tried converting your Vixen files to Xlights and schedule your show from there?

If you are already using Xlights for testing, it would be very easy to convert your Vixen files and setup the show in Xlights unless there is some reason you need to use Vixen.

Offline Trevor

• Wilson Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, »
Hey Guys sorry for the delay...I've just been busy with lights and then work on top of that. Anyhow, thanks for your replies. I went that next morning to where I do the light show (it's done at my grandmothers house) and believe i found the problem. It had done windows updates (I forgot to turn them off again this year.) and since i have a habit of checking the show pc on a daily basis via Remote Desktop I simply restarted vixen and thought nothing of it. Turns out several other programs had been running as well. So I shut them down and disabled them on start up and so far so good.

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, by Trevor »
Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve.  Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age.