Author Topic: MR-16 Interest  (Read 5751 times)

Offline DonFL

MR-16 Interest
« on: December 18, 2013, »
While this is sort of co-op related, figured it would be best served to put this in the MR-16 section. That said, I'll leave it to the admin to move it if needed.

Like Zwiller, and a few others, I'm in need of 1-2 MR-16s, either blank boards, or co-op kits. Was hoping to gauge interest to see if there is enough interest to possibly make an order of boards for the store (I think RJ had mentioned that possibility) or possibly a co-op, something that makes sense for the community as a whole.

Offline zwiller

Re: MR-16 Interest
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, »
Thanks for posting!

If a COOP does come together, I think it would be nice if there is a way to offer 2 different kits: one for the standard/mosfet power and one for low power/constant current.  That said, I would be just as happy with some boards to appear in the store.  Willing to commit to 16 boards if a head count is needed.   
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, »
I am in, especially after I see what Sam has been cooking on because I know I will want some.  Need to dress up the show for next year and really like the strobe/spot effects on some sequences.  I have a BIG tree that a couple to three dozen "strobes" would look great on running from a dc board, something I could leave in the tree all year round.  Now if I could make those RGB strobes, even better!

Some nice twinkling lights in there would be dynamit

Alan

Offline bassmants

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, »
Would this be a better option for dumb lights in bushes, or DSC?  Pros/cons.  Sorry if it's a little sidetracked.  Definitely going rgb in bushes next year, just not sure of the best route.

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, »
I think partly depends on how you want to power the bushes, how far apart they are etc.

I would like to find some, at least, DSC net lights that are good for tree trunks and branches.

Ideally I would find an individually addressable net light, but that would not be this controller.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think partly depends on how you want to power the bushes, how far apart they are etc.

I would like to find some, at least, DSC net lights that are good for tree trunks and branches.

Ideally I would find an individually addressable net light, but that would not be this controller.

If you want an individually addressable net light, it sounds like a flexable matrix and you can make that yourself and controll it with a Zeus or a few SSC's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, »
I kinda like where this is going and perhaps the WIKI should be updated with this modification to turn the board into a CC device.  Perhaps the pole could also be modified to show what type of MR16 the people want or need.  I want to start building animated wire frames and would like to use LED rope light on them.  The problem with doing this is sizing the shapes so that you don't waste too much rope light and 120V rope light normally has cut lengths at 3 foot lengths.  Research shows that many of the 12V rope lights can be cut into lengths as short as 1 inch and many at around 4 inches.  This makes it much easier to size parts with little waste.  The problem is finding a controller to do the job and the MR16 should be a perfect fit.

Offline DonFL

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, »
Pretty sure the assembly directions address the CC mod (unless there is another part of it I'm not aware of).

If there is enough support for a co-op, then that may be the best time to get a sense of constant current versus standard mode.

I mainly wanted to gauge interest in general, and definitely looks like that exists.

Offline doubleeaz

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, »
Voted for PCBs but don't care if end result is PCBs or Coop.  Would like to get several units.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, »
Yep; the CC info is in the manual.  I like tbone's suggestion to clarify the wiki that the MR16 can be configured for CC or "low power".  Didn't realize until just looking that there was different firmware for this. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline bassmants

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, »
I don't really understand the difference in the two versions.  Can one of you clarify?

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, »
I will offer my thoughts and hopefully tbone will elaborate.  The normal build with mosfets is quite powerful.  2A per channel and a total 32A.  Great for lots of dumb gear.  As configured for low power or constant current, it allows you to run raw leds.  Leds require proper voltage and current.  Without CC you will likely fry the led if you exceed the current.  I plan to test converting a 10W white spot to rgb and to fool with 1W raw leds as strobes.   

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, »
I can use a few. Prefer kits from coop but will take boards if available

Offline oj70chevy

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I can use a few. Prefer kits from coop but will take boards if available
same here.
Thanks
Ralph

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, »
I think that you explained it well enough.