Author Topic: Power Question - PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub  (Read 4480 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Power Question - PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub
« on: December 18, 2013, »
If I have a power supply like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, could it be used to power a PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub?  I realize the hub is designed to run off an ATX power supply, but the hub also has a 12V power input connector.  If the power input connector couldn't be used for this, what is it's intended use?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

Re: Power Question - PixelNet 16 Port Active Hub
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, »
Yes, I would check the power supply with a mutlimeter first.  China is not the states in manufacturing tolerances!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, »
The 12V input can be used provided the optional 12V kit was also installed.  If the picture shown is your hub, then it appears that the 12V kit was installed.  That would consist of the regulators and heat sinks on the upper right of the hub.  If this is not your hub and those parts were not installed, then the 12V port will not work to power the board but can be used as a 12V output to power such things as the 4 port hub when the hub is connected to an ATX supply.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TerryW

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, »
I know this is an old thread but I think this applies also. According to the Wiki, it states that the hub needs the 24 pin power connector AND the three 4pin power connectors to be connected or there may be damage to the board. I have seen a video in the Wiki where the three 4pin connectors were not used with the 24pin connector and the hub was running fine. Is this video just old? Does the hub actually require the 24pin power connector AND the three 4pin power connectors too?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, »
the 24-pin connector includes the wire needed to turn on the power supply. (the board shorts the wire) if you don't plug in the 24-pin connector the power supply stays off.

the 24-pin carries 12v power and also carries 5v power... the 5v is not connected to anything, and only the 12 power is used.

the reason for connecting all of the 4-pin connectors with the 24-pin is to distribute the power across many wires to prevent overheating the wires and also the traces on the board.

when I have everything put together in the yard, and I have lots of lights connected I DO connect all of the wires.

when I am doing bench testing and doing demos, I will connect only the 24-pin -- I don't connect a lot of lights and don't drive the power supply or hub with much power draw.

btw... when I connect all of the 4-pin connectors, i try to use connectors that use separate wires back to the power supply. if i pick connectors that share a common wire, i am not distributing the load as much as if i use separate wires.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, »
I know this is an old thread but I think this applies also. According to the Wiki, it states that the hub needs the 24 pin power connector AND the three 4pin power connectors to be connected or there may be damage to the board. I have seen a video in the Wiki where the three 4pin connectors were not used with the 24pin connector and the hub was running fine. Is this video just old? Does the hub actually require the 24pin power connector AND the three 4pin power connectors too?

That really depends on the load (number of nodes) the board is dealing with.  The board does require the 24 pin connector to supply the lower voltages required by the PIC and other active components.  The main purpose of using the 4 pin power connectors is to supply the required current to the nodes without melting any of the traces on the 24 pin connector.  Remember that the hub has 16 ports and each one of them is rated for 4 amps.  That totals out to 64A and that is a lot of current.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TerryW

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, »
Thanks guys, that's some great info.  I really appreciate it!  Now I won't worry so much about plugging it in <yk.. ;D

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, »
This thread brings up an interesting question and I want to make sure I have it straight in my head.
When using the 12volt input, I am assuming the regulators, etc are used to provide the lower voltages for the pic, etc.  Reading one of the responses it almost sounded like you could hook up the 24 pin to power electronics and a different power supply to run the nodes.  That is incorrect I beleive.  Can someone confirm for me?

Mike
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, »
You don't want to have more than one power supply connected to the hub.

If you have a PC power supply connected to the 24 pin connector, you do not want to have the optional 12-volt components installed and you do not want a power supply connected to the 12 volt input.

However, you can use the 12 volt input connector as an output to power other items assuming you don't exceed the current limits on the power supply.

It would be possible to power the nodes from a different power supply but you would not be able to connect them through the hub. You would only want the data lines connected to the hub in this case.

Rick

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, »
The DLA hub and DLA ssc is a 12v system...  it won't  handle 5v... and you should only use a single power supply.

But (and i'm risking the wrath of the admins...) you could use a small power supply feeding 12v on the hub for the data and dmx circuitry, and then use 5v power injection after the ssc to "swap out" 12v with 5v.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, »

It would be possible to power the nodes from a different power supply but you would not be able to connect them through the hub. You would only want the data lines connected to the hub in this case.

Rick
data line would continue from the ssc... and the ground lines would be connected between the ssc and the lights and the new supply.