Author Topic: Pixel Megatree Specs  (Read 14004 times)

Offline aERonAUtical96

Pixel Megatree Specs
« on: December 23, 2013, »
Could we get a thread going here where everyone documents the specs on their pixel megatrees?  I'm ready to make the jump next year but would like to see what has worked for others.

Answer questions like:

Height of tree
Base diameter/radius
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc)
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips)
Number of support strands 
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc)
Number of pixels / strand
Number of pixels / ss controller
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub)
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS)

Any other information that might help someone out.

Links to build/description threads/videos/etc.

I'm hoping that this could be a centralized info thread (maybe eventually sticky) and this information could go into the wiki.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Pixel Megatree Specs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, »
Height of tree - 7ft
Base diameter/radius 3.5 ft dia
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc) 180
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips) TM 1809 flex from wiki
Number of support strands  what does this mean
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc) zip tied to 1/2 emt
Number of pixels / strand  - 1/2 flexstrip
Number of pixels / one ssc controller per one complete flex strip cut in half and connected together
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub) SSC
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle ETD 2013 and USB 2012
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS) vixen 2.1 w/ NC

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bassmants

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, »
Height of tree  12'
Base diameter/radius 7'
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc)  180
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips)  ss wiki nodes
Number of support strands  16
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc)  3/4 PVC
Number of pixels / strand  50
Number of pixels / ss controller  100
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub)  SSC V4/Active Hub
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle  Etherdongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS)  Vixen 2.1/Nutcracker

I spaced them at 2.75".  Pipes touch at the top and are spaced around 8" at the bottom.  Looks amazing with pictures and words.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, by bassmants »

Offline bakerlights

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, »
Height of tree: 15 1/2 ft.
Base diameter/radius: 10 ft.
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc) : 180
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips): flex strip from wiki
Number of support strands: 16
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc): Galvanized Rigid conduit for center pole, 1/2" EMT supports
Number of pixels / strand: 120
Number of pixels / ss controller 120
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub): SSC off of Active and Passive hubs
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle: Etherdongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS): xLights/Nutcracker

The base of my center pole is based off of Walter Monkhouse's design for the Portable Hole II, the topper and pixels supports are based off of Sean Meighan's tree setup.  Used cut sections of T-post secure the center pole and to create anchors for the 1/2" EMT with bungee cord.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For wet area's like I am in, I will be switching to waterproof connectors on everything, the CAT5 pigtails did not survive.  Most of them all got wet and corroded.

Steve

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, by bakerlights »

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, »
Great thread topic.

I would like to add into the spec request is the spacing on the pixels vertically, although a little math on the spreadsheet will figure a lot of that out.

And a rating on ability to show an animated gif or words too would be great.  That way we could learn if a 10' tree with 32 strings in 180 with 2" spacing will show a smiling santa or say merry christmas or what you might need to do ..

Thanks for the thread fellows.

Alan

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, »

Height of tree 10'
Base diameter/radius 6'
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips) Nodes
Number of support strands  12
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc) Nylon Strapping
Number of pixels / strand 40 @ 3" spacing
Number of pixels / ss controller 40
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub) SSC and Active Hub
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle Etherdongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS) Nutcracker and Vixen for sequencing. xLights for scheduling and running the show
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, »
Height of tree - 10'
Base diameter/radius -10'
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc) -180
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips) - flex
Number of support strands -0
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc) -abs base and PVC for strips
Number of pixels / strand -95(ish) per strand, 12 strands
Number of pixels / ss controller
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub) - was on active hub but moved to f16 so I could repurpose active hub for longer runs
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle - etherdongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS) - xlights to sequence, Pi to schedule and play

....and some pics of in progress build
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, »

Height of tree 10'
Base diameter 6'
View in degrees  180
Type of pixels SSNodes
Number of support strands  8 (but planning to go to 12)
Material for support  pvc conduit
Number of pixels / strand 36 pixels
Number of pixels / ss controller 72
Controller type  4 SSCs off of Active Hub plus one ssc for star
Pixelnet Dongle but switching to ether dongle next year
Software used xLights & Vixen2

3" PVC center pole
Cut bottom at about 8" and built into a concrete base inside a plastic container about 1' x 2' x 6" deep
Put female threaded coupler on base and male thread coupler on pole so can dismantle for moving and storage
Cap with screw hooks on top to hold the strand supports

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, »
Height of tree: 14 ft
Base diameter/radius: 8 ft diameter
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc): 190
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips): flex strips
Number of support strands: 24
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc): 3/4" metal EMT
Number of pixels / ss controller: 120
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub): 2 active + 1 passive hub & SSC V4
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle: Etherdongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS): Nutcracker

- Based on Sean Meighan's design (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) except the center pole is 1 3/4" EMT placed in slightly larger pipe that has been cemented in the ground.
 - All CAT5 connections are inside marine battery boxes

- Here's what it looks like...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, by plaberge »
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, »
Height of tree 30ft
Base diameter/radius 10ft
Type of pixels (i.e  SS Nodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips) SS Nodes
Number of support strands  16
Material for support (i.e. PVC, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc) Poly Rope
Number of pixels / strand 75
Number of pixels / SS controller 75nodes / 16 ssc
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub) ssc off active hub
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle Pixelnet Dongle
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS) Lightshow Pro

My setup has a custom star top with supports pulley to the top - I pull the star to the top of a 3 sections  2inch dia galv pole - then have 4 more pulleys mounted to the star hardware to pull up 4 smart strings for a total of 16 strings - if a string fault out only have to lower 4 strings and not the full star/string setup. the base is made from PVC 6inch dia under side has large  holes drilled in to store the ssc and the base stands about 4 feet off the ground. It has been a monster in the making and looks awesome when it is going - but have learned a few thing on the way .....

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, »
Height of tree: 25 ft
Base diameter/radius: 14 ft diameter
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc): 180
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips): SS nodes
Number of support strands: 16
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc): packing strap - probably attach those to EMT next year
Number of pixels / strand: 84
Number of pixels / ss controller: 84
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub): 1 active + 1 passive hub & SSC V1 & 3
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle: Etherdongle/Conductor
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS): Vixen 2.1 with Nutcracker

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, »
Height of tree 16' on 1' leveled "D" base
Base diameter/radius: 8'10" diameter, 4'5" radius
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc) 180 half megatree
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips) SS Nodes
Number of support strands  48
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc) 1/2" PVC conduit with 3" node spacing ripped and drilled with custom jig;  Frame is made of welded steel structure d rings on a heavy duty single piece pole with rebar structural supports.   Tree is "tilt up" design where lights can be loaded horizontally then tree is tilted back up with two persons.     Structure has ladder support at top for easy access and built in attachments for four aircraft cable guy wires.    Tree is stable without any guy wires.   Tree can be completely assembled or disassembled in about an hour using only a single socket wrench.   Welded keys on mast ensure d rings can only be installed with correct orientation.   
Number of pixels / strand 64.     (24 strings of 128 nodes each)
Number of pixels / ss controller 9 strings/Z16#1, 9 strings/z16#2, 6 strings/Z16#3
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub) (3) zeus16 each with own ATX power supply
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle etherdongle#2
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS) LOR converted to xlights with pixel tree rgb added with nutcracker

Notes: a major goal was to attain consistent spacing/density in both horizontal and vertical planes.  A custom jig was used to drill the SS node holes and a double pass on the table obtained a groove down the middle of the PVC conduit which allows easy insertion of the nodes and wires.  No hardware is used to insert the nodes other than a large screwdriver to temporarily increase the gap when inserting each SS node into the conduit.   The top of each conduit is about a 8" "finger" made of wire which allows for a great density of nodes at the top and every other conduit staggers the location of the last 3 nodes to avoid collisions.  The graphics on this pixel tree are fairly decent, especially when scaled down ahead of time.  Design changed for 2014 will include add "clips" like used my house RGB to the outer frame which will eliminate the need to use zip ties or wire when securing the conduit to the frame.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, »
Taybrynn,

What was your rationale for running 3 zeus' vs 2?  Did you have to power inject?  Any issues with running the full 128 nodes on a zeus channel?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, »
No injection needed, just wanted to use cheaper smaller atx power supplies so cheaper to do 3 Zeus vs 2 when you add up ps costs, plus gives added capacity if needed
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, »
I can just copy this, picture almost looks exactly like my tree.

quote author=plaberge link=topic=13323.msg169970#msg169970 date=1388218590]
Height of tree: 14 ft
Base diameter/radius: 8 ft diameter
View in degrees (i.e. 180,220,360,etc): 190
Type of pixels (i.e  SSNodes, 50/50 square, 50/50 rectangle, rigid strips, flex strips): (120) 1809 flex strips
Number of support strands: 20
Material for support (i.e. pvc, galvanized wire, packing strap, poly rope, etc): 3/4" metal EMT
Number of pixels / ss controller: 120
Controller type (i.e. Zeus 16, Zues 8, SSC off of Active Hub): 2 falcon-16's
Etherdongle or Pixelnet Dongle: fpd
Software used (xLights. Vixen2/3, HLS): Nutcracker

- Based on Sean Meighan's design (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) except the center pole is 1 3/4" EMT placed in slightly larger pipe that has been cemented in the ground.
 - All CAT5 connections are inside marine battery boxes

- Here's what it looks like...
[/quote]

thanks. you didnt ask but the bottom of the tree is 2' off the ground. this makes overall tree 16' tall.
also, 60 rectangular node coro star is driven with one ssc

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login