Author Topic: Pixel Megatree Specs  (Read 13995 times)

Offline rick surette

Re: Pixel Megatree Specs
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, »
here is a quick video of my mega tree. It is 16 strands, 10',180 deg. At the end it shows some text.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RobertB

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, »
Rick what kind of strips????

Offline rick surette

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, »
They are the ones in the wiki TM1804 smart string nodes.

Offline RobertB

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, »
 :( Ok. Those are the strings I might not be able to get. REALLY don't want to go fewer than 12 and honestly want between 16 to 20 so it will be a fuller 180 deg. Just too rich for my blood right now. Will probably order some WS2811 nodes tomorrow :(

Offline RobertB

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, »
Thanks! I used flex strips from Ray Wu with TM1809 chips --> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I've included a close-up of the base that shows a bit more detail.

As noted above, I take no credit for the design: I followed the one posted by Sean Meighan --> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login with a few small changes. Since I used 1 3/4" EMT for the center pole, for the topper, I was able to use standard EMT connectors that mounted inside of rabbetted pieces of plywood sandwiched as shown in the pictures below.

While I also built the star from scratch, the design is from holidaycoro --> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login See photo of star during construction.

Hope that helps!

Paul (and others!) - Thanks so much for your help. Finally made a decision and placed my order.
I am going to use yours and Sean's design. However I am going to use the WS2811 nodes. Going to go with 24 legs with 50 nodes (12v) each at 3" spacing. I am hoping to use sch 40 pvc (for cost) or conduit for the legs. Going to do one of Holidaycoro's stars with 10 2811 modules in it.
Now....I have to go buy another power supply. Looks like I am going to use 4 power supplies for this many nodes :-)

Offline Hamblinj

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2015, »

Height of tree 10'
Base diameter 6'
View in degrees  180
Type of pixels SSNodes
Number of support strands  8 (but planning to go to 12)
Material for support  pvc conduit
Number of pixels / strand 36 pixels
Number of pixels / ss controller 72
Controller type  4 SSCs off of Active Hub plus one ssc for star
Pixelnet Dongle but switching to ether dongle next year
Software used xLights & Vixen2

Any other information that might help someone out.
3" PVC center pole
Cut bottom at about 8" and built into a concrete base inside a plastic container about 1' x 2' x 6" deep
Put female threaded coupler on base and male thread coupler on pole so can dismantle for moving and storage
Cap with screw hooks on top to hold the strand supports

Can you show any pics of how you hang your strings?