Author Topic: Looking for some definitions: pixabulb, bullet, ...  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
I've seen some references to different pixel types, and I'm not sure what products are being referenced.

Can you reply to this thread with info/sources for each of the following?  ...and add anything similar to this thread to help clarify/define additional products.

• Technicolor
  • FirePix
  • Bullet (TM1804)
  • Pixabulbs
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

Re: Looking for some definitions: pixabulb, bullet, ...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, »
Technicolor (1st Gen)

Designed by Zach Stoltenberg, intended to address water-proofing problems, UV-protection to extend the lifespan, supporting optional covers of various styles, ...12V.  Sold and available from multiple vendors and manufacturers. (including Ray Wu)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Available in WS2811 and TM1804 chips.  The Ray Wu variety used a WS2811 with a clock setting compatible with Zeus and SSC.

Had major problems in the 1st generation, mostly due to missing (?) conformal coatings, overheating, water intrusion.

Also available as FirePix.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, »
FirePix (1st Gen)

Designed by Zach Stoltenberg, intended to address water-proofing problems, UV-protection to extend the lifespan, supporting optional covers of various styles, ...12V.  Sold and available from multiple vendors and manufacturers. (FirePix sold by HolidayCoro)

Available in WS2811, 12v -- but clock rate makes them incompatible with Zeus and SSC.

Had major problems in the 1st generation, mostly due to missing (?) conformal coatings, overheating, water intrusion.

Also available as Technicolor.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, by Steve Gase »

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, »
I found this info from another site:

Pixabulbs And Pixadot

Sold by Diy Led Express.

The PixaBulbs are a cross between a C7 and a C9 bulb.  They are the height of a C7 with the width of a C9.  Each PixaBulb has 2 5050 LEDs, runs on a WS2811 IC, runs on 12v, and are IP68 rates. 

It is unknown if these work with Zeus and SSC.

The PixaDots have a single 5050 LED, run on a WS2801 IC, uses 5v and are IP68 rated.  As they use 5v and the wrong chip, so they are incompatible with Zeus and SSC.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, »
Pixabulbs available from diyledexpress.com are WS2811 IC and have 2 12v 5050 RGB leds fully embedded in that clear resin/plastic material. It has a bulb cover and the shape of the node looks similar to a LOR cosmic color bulb. One user here said he was using a couple of bulbs with a V1 (unmodified) and a V4 SSC. I saw good reviews on another forum. But they cost about twice as much as a Ray bullet node like those in the WIKI. It might be worth the cost though as someone had theirs working while buried in the snow.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, »
Ray bullet node like those in the WIKI.

So, "bullet node" is another name for Ray's IP68 smart pixels...?

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, »
I have some Pixabulbs on the way for some testing.  They have very good reviews.  They are a little bit more but given the recent quality of the Technicolor pixels and the fact that the cover is integrated I am willing to spend a bit more.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, »
I have some Pixabulbs on the way for some testing.  They have very good reviews.  They are a little bit more but given the recent quality of the Technicolor pixels and the fact that the cover is integrated I am willing to spend a bit more.
Is there another source, besides DiyLedExpress?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, »
Bullet nodes are just like Ray's in the WIKI. It just refers to the shape of the pixel. The ones at diyledexpress look identical to the LOR CCB's at much less cost. I don't know if they are the same manufacturer. I haven't seen anything similar on aliexpress.

Offline Hauvega

• New Home!!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, »
These items sold at Seasonal Entertainment.  They are 2801 based.
Rainbow Pixicles  Traditional icicle string (individual pixel control)
Rainbow Drops    Traditional icicle string (all drops treated as 1 node)
Rainbow C9 Pixels  C9 covered flat backed nodes
Rainbow Mini Pixels   Bullet shaped nodes.
Rainbow C7 Pixel    C7 covered flat backed nodes

Interesting concept with the icicle design.  I wonder how much fun it would be to make something similar.  Their system makes it hard to expand.  All products are 42 pixels max.  Kind of limiting.
Eric Vega
Walker, LA

Starting all over again.

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, »
Is there another source, besides DiyLedExpress?

Not that I am aware of.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, by bwhite505 »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, »
This thread has become ads for vendors. Everyone knows how I feel about this.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline keitha43

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, »
Sorry! My reason for looking for another type pixel is even though the ip68 nodes in the WIKI are way better than the original ip66 as to waterproofing, I noticed some corrosion where the led solders to the board on some so I figure it is only a matter of time until they fail. I am thinking water gets in on the end where the body touches the led. So I was looking for something to last for years.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, »
Sorry! My reason for looking for another type pixel is even though the ip68 nodes in the WIKI are way better than the original ip66 as to waterproofing, I noticed some corrosion where the led solders to the board on some so I figure it is only a matter of time until they fail. I am thinking water gets in on the end where the body touches the led. So I was looking for something to last for years.

+1

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, »
The original post is fine, they just seem to always go in the direction this one is.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying