Author Topic: Looking for some definitions: pixabulb, bullet, ...  (Read 5551 times)

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
Re: Looking for some definitions: pixabulb, bullet, ...
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The original post is fine, they just seem to always go in the direction this one is.

RJ

RJ,

Didn't mean to go this direction. I have no interest in their site just saw them and thought I would give them a try. I edited my post.

Brian

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, »
with all that said, is there any plans to find a US solution or get the manufacturing of the current pixels smoothed out. I hoping to make the complete jump this year.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, »
Generally speaking, the current list of strings, strips, and nodes found in the wiki are pretty good.  There is a NORMAL failure rate that is tolerable, and it can be offset by requesting from ray some "spares" that you can then use to "swap out" failed with spare pixels.

The issues seen this year were due to our attempts to order from off the approved list... finding what should be compatible pixels, but in new/different configurations to offer more choices in our displays.  Some of these options looked great on paper, and even in the demos -- but in real life they had problems. 

Not everything had problems... a few guys in the forum have tried a lot of ray's offerings and they've had great success. 

Maybe a survey is needed to formally collect data on these "grey-area" products.  The survey might tell us how many people have tried the product against DLA controllers, and what failure rates were experienced with each.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, »
Can anyone comment on the pixabulb amperage and/or max per ssc?  Searched but details are sketchy.  I had a heck of a time with power injection requirements this past year with 5050 gear and I wonder how well 50 dual 5050s will look on full white with the SSC.  Maybe the string has built in power injection?  Any other details appreciated. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, »

How exactly would the string have "built in" power injection.   I truly believe that the main issue is using both cat5 and RJ45 connectors for this level of power draw.  I know that RJ specked out the cable and connectors but in order for it to handle the load we are putting on them, you need all three remaining pairs to make it work.  This is also the reason for needing stranded wire over solid, to make sure that one of the wires doesn't break and dump the load on the remaining two pairs.  An RJ45 is also not designed for solid high current connections and are having corrosion issues that are also in many cases leading to high voltage drops.  All it will take is a grain of dirt or sand to break the connection on one of those soft pins.  This is why I intend to experiment with different cable types and connectors to see if I can find something that can handle the load as well as transfer the signal.  I hope to be able to start in early Feb and I have a few ideas. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, »
Of course I find it now...  1.3A per 50 pixabulbs.  So .03A per so a SSC could run 2 - 50' and a 25'.  Wow that's cool.  Just need 2 50s in my case. 

I can say with reasonable certainty that the West Marine corrosion spray helped immensely this year for me.  That said, almost all of my issues this past season we water infiltration/condensation of the pvc shell for the SSC.  It just was wicked weather for me.  Reminds me of another topic I need to post... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline myoung008

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, »
I'm not running a ssc.  For planning 2013's display, I measured my Pixabulbs at 0.9A per 25 at full white.  0.036A per pixel.  Ran 623 of them as one string but didn't measure power consumption for the full setup.  All power was from a single 360W supply.  I injected power in the middle at 6 places as well as at each end.  My longest run between injections was 146 pixels with power injected from each side, 73pixels away from power, max.  Testing inside beforehand, I decided I could get away with 150 without a visible difference if I injected power both directions.  At aroung 157-158 I started noticing dimming.  When powering from a single end, 75 was pushing it with a small amount of dimming noticeable with bulbs side by side.

All power was over 14ga landscape wire except for the start pixel, which got it's power and signal over cat5.  No RJ45s anywhere in the power or data lines.  I used terminal strips and crimp-on spade connectors.

@zwiller - In your case of only needing 2x50 I would still supply power directly to each string, 100 px is a little far for pixabulbs if you want full brightness.

Marc