Author Topic: Stuck On White  (Read 2605 times)

Offline tindivall

Stuck On White
« on: December 23, 2013, »
Using Zues 16, running xlights, on 2811 strips....   When I put the Zues in program mode and run the smart string utility to set up the channels etc... everything works fine, strips blink etc...

I then take the Zues out of program mode and run the xlights test with RGB (A-B-C-All)... so that all lights turn green, red, blue, white....   For some reason some of the strips freeze at white.... 

I then started up a show and sure enough anytime I have them go white they lock up....   So I went in and edited my show and removed all white effects....  Now the show runs no problem with no strips locking up....

Being my first year doing this I am not proficient enough yet to figure out why this is, so figured I would post here for some expert opinions.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Stuck On White
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, »
This is normally your lights drawing too much giving you low voltage. This can be too small a power supply or too many lights causing voltage drop beyond the minimum. White draws the most current so it takes you above the limit.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, »
I have found the same problem using ssc. About the last 1/3 of 2811 flex strip will lock up with all white. Found that power injection solved the issue. Also running shorter strips, the problem went away. There was no problem with the amps, just a voltage drop issue in my case.

Don't understand why they don't reset with all nodes off, just going with it.
Have Fun!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, »
Once the ship in the last nodes gets hit with voltage under what they can operate at they gets hosed up and have to be powered off to reset.

RJ

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Don't understand why they don't reset with all nodes off, just going with it.

Because like RJ said, once they get scrambled they no longer understand or respond to commands like all nodes off s they just stay where they were until a power off reset clears them.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, »
I just started to have this a couple days ago on my half megatree with 23 strings of 128 nodes across 3 zeus boards and 3 power supplies ... I'm very sure I have double the power needed, and unplugging the string does fix for a bit but then something triggers it at some point then the nodes kind of go mad and change colors but stay stuck And occasionally change color and or places where nodes stay on.   It had worked without issues for several weeks prior.   It seems to be showing these symptoms even with xlights off.   I'm wondering if I swapped Zeus channels if the same string would stay bad or if the problem would shift?   I was thinking it might be caused by a sequences which displays pictures and perhaps some combination just overloads it somehow?   One thought is to remove that sequence from my show and see if the problem continues.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, »
I am only having this on one string currently.   Just not sure how to troubleshoot it.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, »
With each string having its own processor it should not be an overload type issue. It would Work the same as it each string is on its own SSC.

RJ

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, »
Tonight I removed the song I felt was causing it and also unplugged this strong and made sure it was dry and back on tight and it's been fine.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, »
I appreciate the response... I figured it was a data issue of some kind because was able to get a voltage reading at the end of the string... didn't know about it dropping to low!   Probably doesn't help that the run is about 20feet and Zues isn't really made for that