Author Topic: Node based Arches (with video please)  (Read 6627 times)

Offline DanHouston

Re: Node based Arches (with video please)
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, »
Not discounting strips at all....the ones I've seen all look fantastic just seemed to recall seeing some node based ones and liked that look as well.
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, »
As promised, here are the pictures of my arches.  Its nothing earth shattering, but I think they look pretty good.

Also, I put 3 conductor connectors at each end of the arch so that I can assemble them into strings.  One smart string controller will run three arches.  They break apart for easy storage.  I just clipped the "tail" off a connector, dipped it in liquid tape, and plugged it into the end connector of the last arch in the string.
Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline plaberge

• Every good project requires a new tool
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, »
Mine are very similar to MazdaFan above. 128 SS nodes split over 4 arches (32 nodes per) ziptied to 3/4" pex with 1/2 wooden dowels stuck at each end to stick them in the ground. The four nodes fold flat for storage. You can see them in action in this video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. BTW no issues with water infiltration or node failures after 3 weeks of rain.
- Paul
  North Vancouver, BC
  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, »
Thanks guys! Both look great....now to get my plans together!
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, »
How did you over come the problem with PVC wanting to tear out when drilling holes.
Jimmy
Baytown, Tx

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, »
I did mine like mitch09 by attaching them with electrical tape to PVC.  10' diameter.  Video here:

you can access my other videos from that page.  Mine were new in 2012, so anything older then that will not have them.

-Keith

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, »
I did mine like mitch09 by attaching them with electrical tape to PVC.  10' diameter.  Video here:

you can access my other videos from that page.  Mine were new in 2012, so anything older then that will not have them.

-Keith

They look great in the video. 
Those are the regular SS pixel nodes and not flexstrips?  If so, how much spacing in between lights after taping?

(Also, is your megatree SS nodes or flexstrips?)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, by txag2008 »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, »
How did you over come the problem with PVC wanting to tear out when drilling holes.

this is what I used to drill my pvc for nodes. nice clean holes and didn't rip like a normal drill bit. I used a drill press and once I had my depth set, I could drill one side completely and it would start the hole on the other side of the pipe, I just flipped it and drilled again. with depth set on the drill press you don't have to worry about going to deep. just remember to check your depth from time to time so they stay consistent. they have different sizes and I think my holes ended up being around 9/16 of an inch. allowed me to put the node in the hole and make a slight turn and it tightened up nice and snug with no zip ties needed. I will say though. at about 3 hours a night, it took me 4 or 5 evenings to drill the 1600 holes for my mega tree. if you go to my facebook page, I have pictures there. this is a new pc and they are not loaded on here. I'm keeping this pc as clean as possible for show performance.

Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Jimmy

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, »
Thanks guys
Jimmy
Baytown, Tx

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2014, »
PVC (I did 1inch sched 20) will drill just fine with the right bit. Nothing fancy, just a conical shape, and feed slowly.

It will chip if you drill too fast. Been there.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2014, »
PVC (I did 1inch sched 20) will drill just fine with the right bit. Nothing fancy, just a conical shape, and feed slowly.

It will chip if you drill too fast. Been there.

that's what makes the uni-bit work great! go as fast as you want, no chipping, smooth holes when finished.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, »
but with the Uni-bit, I have to drill once and flip, hoping to match.

With a Drill Press, properly set up centerline, I drill two perfectly aligned 1/2" holes.
Sharp bit, slow feed rate - perfect holes for 12mm pixels.

This is really best done with two people. A friend and I drilled 6 tubes for 40 pixels per tube (480 total holes) in just over 2 hours. That included setup, cleanup and getting all the cuttings out of the tubes.

Offline bassmants

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, »
but with the Uni-bit, I have to drill once and flip, hoping to match.

With a Drill Press, properly set up centerline, I drill two perfectly aligned 1/2" holes.
Sharp bit, slow feed rate - perfect holes for 12mm pixels.

This is really best done with two people. A friend and I drilled 6 tubes for 40 pixels per tube (480 total holes) in just over 2 hours. That included setup, cleanup and getting all the cuttings out of the tubes.

I stacked and drilled 2, 3/4" pipes at once with a standard bit and a jig we set up.  Went through both tops and bottoms with one swipe.  Took some setup time to get it to go throught the bottom one, but just made it. 

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, »

-Keith

They look great in the video. 
Those are the regular SS pixel nodes and not flexstrips?  If so, how much spacing in between lights after taping?

(Also, is your megatree SS nodes or flexstrips?)

Sorry, I didn't see these questions earlier.  The arches are made with the pixel nodes.  3-1/2" spacing.  The mega-tree is made from the same nodes.  They are @ 3-5/8" spacing.

Thanks,
-Keith