Author Topic: PixelNet or DMX to renard?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
PixelNet or DMX to renard?
« on: December 21, 2013, »
Hi All

I would like to run my show via the conductor lnext year, but most of my old controllers are a costom homebrew (mess) which use Renard. Even though the stuff is ugly it has worked well for 4+ years. What i really want is a device that translates DMX to ttl serial renard.

Anybody know of anything?

Thanks
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: PixelNet or DMX to renard?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, »
Why not switch the renard to DMx? Then your set.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, »
While that would leave me with much higher quality equipment, replacing 102 channels worth of controllers carry a cost, in both time and money, i would rather put back into the lights.

End of the day i may just write my own based on the same chip in my other eqipment. Should be able to recycle part of my code, and pull from others for the dmx side. Ehh it will be a fun cheap project.

Thanks
Boucher Family Lights

Offline keitha43

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, »
I believe RJ might have meant to run your Renards in DMX mode using DMX firmware. There is a thread talking about it here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, »
Correct that was what I meant.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, »
If only that were the case.
I actually don't have Renard boards, I have home built junk that uses the renard protocol.
Back when i first got into this I built my own boards as cheap as possible, just to learn how to do it.
Its based around the Parallax SX chip, and is as bare bones as it gets (and ugly too).
They have worked for years now. Seems when i pull them out of storage the last 2 years at least 1 has a bad pin, so i just grab a new SX chip, flash it and put it in. This is probably due to the fat that the serial line is straight from 1 chip to the next over about 15 feet of unshielded wire.

I would never build such junk now, but it was a good way to learn how not to do things. :-)

While yes i could probably mode them over to DMX, I think i would rather just build a converter.
Seems to be the path of least resistance.

You can see my horrible controllers here.
Boucher Family Lights