Author Topic: Line insertion problem  (Read 2614 times)

Offline travailen

Line insertion problem
« on: December 29, 2013, »
If I insert a new line into an existing sequence and then insert an effect into one if the locations in the new line, the sequence description not only fills the assigned location but continues to write in subsequent empty locations. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
Also, double clicking on any location in the new like does not take me to the copy paste function like it does on the existing lines.

Thanks,

Rick S
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, by travailen »

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
Re: Line insertion problem
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If I insert a new line into an existing sequence and then insert an effect into one if the locations in the new line, the sequence description not only fills the assigned location but continues to write in subsequent empty locations. Is anybody else experiencing this problem?
Also, double clicking on any location in the new like does not take me to the copy paste function like it does on the existing lines.

Thanks,

Rick S

"If I insert a new line into an existing sequence and then insert an effect into one if the locations in the new line, the sequence description not only fills the assigned location but continues to write in subsequent empty locations. "

this is the way it is supposed to work. you have an effect in a cell on subsequent rows you have a blank, it will continue the original effect. If you want to stop an effect use colorwash with one color=BLACK.

"Also, double clicking on any location in the new like does not take me to the copy paste function like it does on the existing lines.", this is true and i would consider a bug.
But i dont use double click to copy/paste. below the "Export" button are three new icons
1) Cut
2) Copy
3) Paste

these work on the new cells or already filled in cells.

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, »
I think the OP was talking about how the effects text descriptions are overflowing into the adjacent cells.    Like you put an effect into column 1, row 1 ... But you then see the text description overflowing in columns 2,3,4,5 on row 1 also.

That was initially confusing to me, but I'm used to it now.

Basically if you don't see the 'beginning of the effects text' in a cell, then your just seeing overflow text but the effect isn't being applied to those adjacent columns (models).    This is rather confusing and cluttered and seems like it would be better to hide the overflow text unless you mouse over the specific cell ... Or make that a preference?. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline travailen

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, »
I think the OP was talking about how the effects text descriptions are overflowing into the adjacent cells.    Like you put an effect into column 1, row 1 ... But you then see the text description overflowing in columns 2,3,4,5 on row 1 also.

Basically if you don't see the 'beginning of the effects text' in a cell, then your just seeing overflow text but the effect isn't being applied to those adjacent columns (models).    This is rather confusing and cluttered and seems like it would be better to hide the overflow text unless you mouse over the specific cell ... Or make that a preference?.

Taybrynn is correct, that is what I was talking about. It is confusing because, as far as I can see the overflow dose not happen in rows already in the sequence, only on the rows that have been added.

Rick S
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, by travailen »

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, »

Taybrynn is correct, that is what I was talking about. It is confusing because, as far as I can see the overflow dose not happen in rows already in the sequence, only on the rows that have been added.

Rick S
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Yes, you are correct, an effect overflows adjacent cells until u put in an effect. This is something we will fix.

If I have a blank song ready for effects, I first auto create "none,none" in every cell. Now there is no overflow to adjacent cells.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, »
What might be nice is to eventually use some flavor of color coding of cells based on both the effect colors used and the effects used.     Probably a lot harder than it sounds, but I could visually see how some color coding instead of text could make the grid easier to use ... But you'd still want to see the effects text on a mouse over or something.

I find myself clicking on grid cells a lot and seeing how it populates the nutcracker panel to verify what's in each cell.    It's pretty nice being able to do that.   But empty cells don't empty out the nutcracker settings which is both good and bad ... Good because you don't lose your current effect and bad because it's hard to verify a cell with nothing in it.   I think Sean's initializing of none, none is probably something I should do to avoid that empty cell issue?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, »
Sean, is none,none the same as a cell with nothing in it? 

Offline tindivall

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, »
none,none is = to nothing being there... however it will not turn colors off from previous effect.... that is why you have to use colorwash:black.. or bars:black, etc.... if you have a previous effect that you are wanting to turn off.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, »
I've learned that to turn on the power supply for say a coro northstar, which I have attached to a regular lynx express channel ... I made a single channel model for the power supply then sent it a color wash white to turn on and a color,wash black to turn off.   I tried making it part of the model but could not because the coro northstar was rgb and the power was a single channel non rgb/AC.    That could be a possible enhancement .... To allow a single channel to be attached to a model, typically a power but could also be things like the motor on a deer, etc.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, »
I think we might have gotten a bit off topic but since Scott brought it up... that is something I have been wondering about for the upcoming year... Is there a way within nutcracker/xlights to turn on a fog machine / snow machine / etc....

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, »
The same way -- using a regular AC channel from an LE -- build a one channel model for it, use colorwash white on it (ON), or colorwash back on it (OFF)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, »
That is how I do my Nativity and a sign that says Merry Christmas on the front of the house.  And a couple of static items as well.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA