Author Topic: PEX Tubing and MegaTrees  (Read 1507 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
PEX Tubing and MegaTrees
« on: May 05, 2014, »
I have seen many different ways to attach lights and strips to make MegaTrees.  What I haven't seen is folks making a tree using PEX tubing with pixel string placed inside.  I know this is done with strips and pixels in arches. 

Has anyone tried to make a mega tree using PEX and the pixels in the tubes? 

I was worried about spacing and getting equally spaced and oriented pixels but with a bit of testing this doesn't seem to be that big of an issue.  My only concern would be all the pixels and tubes placed near each other if the diffusion of light due to the PEX would distort the light, making it hard to see effects.  So before I proceed to making a mock up I thought I would see if others have attempted this. 

I see extra benefit of protecting pixels from the weather if in PEX tubing as well. 

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: PEX Tubing and MegaTrees
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, »
Weight is one consideration in a larger tree. A small say 10ft might work. Have had minimal problems with water and the pixels but then again I point mine upward.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, »
I tried it with 1/2" PEX in 10' pieces and flex strips inside.
The light looked good, but despite using straight PEX (not rolled) I still had a lot of curvature due to the weight of the material.
Maybe 3/4" would be better, but I think you'd really need to thing about how tension was applied.
my mistake was having the lights attached from the top, with the wire at the top and the pex unattached at the bottom.  I did some things to keep the pex separated at the midpoints.

summary: the look was unique and most people loved it... but it wasn't the look I intended and I was disappointed.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, »
As for tension, I was thinking of avoiding this all together by "mounting" the strings inside the tubes and attaching the tubes to the tree framework.  The strings could be attached to dowels driven into the PEX as plugs(e.g. smeighan's approach).  Thinking of avoiding wood as these would freeze when wet and burst the PEX. The strings could be attached to the dowel and the dowel attached to an eye hook at the top .  Kind of do the same thing at the bottom.

Since the tubes are more flexible than other conduit there will need to be some framework to support the tubes.  Though it might be interesting to have some concave shape to the tubes.  For that matter, convex, and have a more spherical shape.

I tried placing lights in 3/4" tubes but after about 15 nodes inside it was hard to pull the lights through to the other end - too much friction.  1" tubes make this much easier to do.

Eric

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, »
Had given this some thought when I put my tree together - some of the reasons I did not use PEX was the cost - I have just started making some archs with 1inch PEX and the cost for 100feet of the stuff was $73 - the order I have came in a roll and it would be hard to get this stuff straight - now as I only need archs it is not a problem. Also looked into clear PVC but there again the cost was up there - and also checked tygon <sp> tube but that was way up in price. Know that there is a thin wall clear tube I have seen used by air cylinder suppliers to ship in but could not find it .....
Ted K

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, »
LtKadeo

I have actually tried the rolled 1" for doing arches and it was a total disaster. They would not stand up by them selves and kept trying to roll up even after being cut to 11ft lengths. They were a total waste of money. Now if you were going to use them to make some mini arches they might work but any length over about 3 feet just doesn't work.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, »
I think the diffused look is nice, but doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally ... as the diffusion sort of dampens what is normally a key display item in your show.
I mean it could be intentional, but I don't think that material is well suited to that application.

My experience with RGB has been that let them shine ... its a lot easier to accept them for what they are rather than try to put into tubes and diffuse the light.

We mount ours in 1/2 pvc conduit (cheap at $1.xx for 10') and drill holes (in one side only), then cut a slit (double pass in saw, conduit in a jig) ... requires a table saw ... and the slit holds the nodes perfectly, they are easy to service, self draining ... all all pointing in the same direction for controlled light dispersion.  Not the easiest to do, but works well.

Another material I think could be used more is the white shower liner material ($20 for 4x8 sheet at home depot) ... and its as touch as leather and very flexible.  Its basically a sheet form of PVC.  That makes a super durable strap thats super easy to mount nodes into using the right drill bit size (don't remember offhand).

Scott

Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tomwb301

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, »
The problem with material like PEX is the defusing of the lights. On many display elements clarity is key.

I use 1/2" EMT with steel couplings to mount flex strips for my mega tree. I use 3/4" PVC for arches with ty-wraps to mount the nodes. 3/8" ABS pipe using C9 gutter clips for nodes on the eves of the house. All of this has worked great for two years in a row.

To each his own but this works well for me.
Tom
Humble, Texas

Offline LtKadeo

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, »
MrChristmas2000

So far I have 10 ft sections of PEX 1inch dia tube cut and it looks like it should make some nice archs for me - was planning on placing them about 6-8 feet apart on stake standing 10-11 inches out of the ground..