Author Topic: $600  (Read 6794 times)

Offline Cobergas

$600
« on: April 29, 2009, »
Ok I am going to try and see how many channels I can get with Lynx for this amount of money? Anyone want to try and guess? If I went totally hardwired this season and built the wireless next I wonder how many controllable channels I could get...

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: $600
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, »
Not including cables but including cases ?

128 channels of express or Freestyle including SSR's for under $600
We have done the math a few times. LOL

I priced it with the least expensive lor PC version and it was 48 channels.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, »
Aight!! I am shooting for 128 this year. I think that is attainable even though I have never in my life soldered a board or put together any type of electronics really. Besides stereo and car lights..  I know I got everyone's support on here...

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Aight!! I am shooting for 128 this year. I think that is attainable even though I have never in my life soldered a board or put together any type of electronics really. Besides stereo and car lights..  I know I got everyone's support on here...

YOU can DOOO it!  ;D ;D ;D

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline dr. jones

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, »

RJ

if you bought the pc kits, it would be 96 channels without cases

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, »

RJ

Last year with my BIG score of extension cords at HD. I had 128 channels with the Freestryle (hardwired) for under $600. Of course I didn't stop there,... but thats another story.  ;)
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, »

RJ

if you bought the pc kits, it would be 96 channels without cases

Ok if we want to do them without cases then the LE would be about 160 channels then.

RJ
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, by RJ »

Offline magic8192

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, »

I am just a little further along than you.  I watched every soldering video I could find 10 times, asked a bunch of questions, checked, double checked, fretted and got my first board working after about 30 hours.  The 2nd and third boards went much quicker.    Everyone on here was very helpful.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, »

I am just a little further along than you.  I watched every soldering video I could find 10 times, asked a bunch of questions, checked, double checked, fretted and got my first board working after about 30 hours.  The 2nd and third boards went much quicker.    Everyone on here was very helpful.

Man 30 hours!!  :o   LOL

RJ

Offline magic8192

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, »
Maybe I shouldn't be spreading that around  ;D

Offline okie

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, »
Cobergas,

Keep in mind that cables are going to eat into that 128 channel total significantly.  It might benefit you to design your layout on paper and estimate cord length based on controller placement, electrical service, etc.  Once you have that done, you'll have a much better estimate of total costs involved and can scale your show appropriately.

Just my $.02

Lance

Offline dr. jones

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, »
Cobergas,

Keep in mind that cables are going to eat into that 128 channel total significantly.  It might benefit you to design your layout on paper and estimate cord length based on controller placement, electrical service, etc.  Once you have that done, you'll have a much better estimate of total costs involved and can scale your show appropriately.

Just my $.02

Lance

I have to second that - You forget about cabling until you realize you need 5000 feet of zip cord

Offline bugless

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, »
Just my $.02

Lance

Does that mean you just spent  $.02 of his money (so now he only has $599.98) or you are giving him $.02 (so that now he has $600.02) ? :)

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, »
Well as far as cable is concerned I have opted into the wireless realm already. I am buying a wireless receiver for a couple of boards then daisy chaining so to speak off onto another board. I wired my controllers spots from last year since I was running LOR and did not want to throw my money away on the wireless transmitters. Other cables IE: extension cords is another story. Power concerned I run 90% LEDS so for my 30,000 lights this year I will not need any additional service or sub panels. The good thing about running LEDS I guess..

Offline Cobergas

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, »
BTW.... Does anyone recommend any good books or instruction manuals for getting started in soldering? Where should I start so to say...