Author Topic: Dec 31 or Jan 1 - when is the last show?  (Read 8084 times)

Offline drlucas

Re: Dec 31 or Jan 1 - when is the last show?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2014, »
It's back up to 20 degrees today but the wind is up around 15mph and the first roof has about 3" of ice on it. I think I can still get up there with my shovel as a support option. I'll make sure the boy is at the bottom of the ladder and pass him down the five items I can get too. I'm not going on the main roof. The other nodes up there and the active hub can wait. Falling from 10' will hurt plenty - falling from 30 will kill me.  I prefer not to fall so will ensure if there is even a slight risk on the first roof the signing tree will stay right where he is until spring. (Fortunately it's 6 quick screws for disconnect but still gotta get there).
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline drlucas

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, »
All but the star on top of the mega tree and the nodes on the high roof are down ( well the hub on the high roof is there still). The arches and candy canes on the ground will come out in a month or four when the frost leaves. I'm not risking breaking off the stakes in the ground getting them out. Here is a picture of my lack of real consideration of storage in the garage. I'll need to do something with those 1/2" PVC pipes because I want to transform my flexstrip megatree into a matrix and will need some serious space to work.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline ghethco

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, »
We normally "de-Christmas" during the New Year's break, but there are quite a few people in my neighborhood (San Jose, CA) who leave at least some of their holiday lights up year-round!  I suspect some of them are just lazy, but we do have quite a few families from India, and decorating with lights seems to come quite naturally for them.  They have "Diwali" (festival of lights) every fall, but here they leave the lights up for months and some never take them down.  I love it!

Gary

Offline drlucas

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, »
I'm very much a first opportunity type of guy. The only hard and fast rule we have at our house is Christmas Tree is out of the house before Jan 2nd as that's my daughters birthday and crossing celebrations are not encouraged. Mind you my son and I share a birthday and often share a cake so apparently that rule of crossing celebrations have a few exceptions.

Toronto and as a result of urban sprawl is very multicultural however most of the families try to fit in with local traditions. I have only seen the people who are lazy leave the lights up year round. They are also the same people who tend not to shovel their sidewalks. There aughta be a law against that (says the grumpy guy who was sliding around on the icy sidewalks at 6 this morning with the dogs)
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline wildwillie

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, »
I keep mine going until the twelfth day of Christmas, the Epiphany.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, »
At this point, the weather and my schedule (of free time) will dictate when I can take it down.  I'm removing electronics as much as possible but removing much will depend a lot on decent weather for removing it. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, »
Went dark yesterday, got the active hubs in, the arches, and a few SSC's.  The static is down and mostly put away except the icicle and multi-color leds on the gutters.  A whole lot of cables still need to come down, but I am leaving a bit up for a small Valentines show, then it will all come down until close to July when a few things may go back up.

Alan

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, »
sad part for me, i left my show up for my aunt to come and see it, and she didn't show up. it was 50 last Wednesday and i could have had everything off the house and roof. i was able to get 80% of the yard stuff put away this weekend but now it's -3 and I'm parked right on my couch! i'll get it when i get it! lol
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline drlucas

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, »
-29 overnite but back to a balmy 36 on the weekend. And more and more freezing rain!!

I really want the rgb off the roof down as well as the last hub. May be able to get to the hub based on the approach last weekend I took but no way I can touch the rgb until the ice is gone.

With my 2nd roof I can slide down to the bottom of it in the middle and be stopped with the frame I built for the lights but if I went near the edge of the roof I wouldn't stand a chance.

So I'll have to be kept interested in other projects in the meantime. Like trying to figure out how to best mount the new matrix I'm building. That will be a different thread. I guess I can organize the stuff I've taken down so far as well as confirm everything still works now it's been thawed out. Is there a period of time to leave the gear at room temps before starting up after being outside in sub zero temps? Maybe a day?
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline caretaker

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, »
Took down everything on ground level except of my mega tree Sunday (with help from my wonderful wife) before the snow (6") and the bone chilling code set in (-14 tomorrow).  Mega tree and everything on the second floor will have to wait till snow melts some and temperatures warm back up.  The sad part for me is that I didn't get a chance to video anything this year.  :(
Jeff Squires

Offline tbone321

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, »
Well, it's all finally down.  Now it just needs a few days to dry off and it gets put away and my car gets the garage back.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline meman

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, »
Got all my cords and yard elements packed away yesterday and performed the ritual "mowing of the grass". It has been growing like crazy this year and I actually had to do some careful touch ups with the string trimmer since it was starting to obscure ground lights and strobes. All went well with the ritual.... no missed cords or chunks of PVC were sacrificed this year :D

Mike E.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, »
Got all of mine down and placed in the garage. Waiting on a new shed. I am not putting the 20 bins back in the garage attic..... my daughter moved out and my wife can't lift the bins. I looked into a lift but the room I would loose and the cost is prohibitive.  Might be time for a new younger wife....but that might be cost prohibitive also.... 8)
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline zwiller

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, »
Only got to run my show a few hours here and there last year.  Mouser order with hub fuses and other parts arriving today.  Hoping to piece a few things together and video this weekend and put last year to rest.  It was a rough season... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, »
mine go off dec 27th