Author Topic: Remove music from sequence in Xlights?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline DanHouston

Remove music from sequence in Xlights?
« on: January 01, 2014, »
It looks like conversion of HLS with xLights always expects an audio file? I have a couple of sequences (before and after my show) that do not have any music associated with them, but when I converted them to xLights and try to play them they complain about a missing mp3 file.

I do notice that HLS generates a PCM file (it's audio file) even for sequences that do not have music so that may create the confusion within xLights?
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline drlucas

Re: Remove music from sequence in Xlights?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, »
HLS needs a wav/mp3 to start working. Then at that time I believe it makes the monster PCM file. When you get over to xlights after importing the idata file you'll need an mp3 regardless of if you started with the mp3 or wav when you started the sequence. So you may need to grab audacity or gold wave or your fav editing/converting software and then make the mp3 and drop it into your xlights data folder. The funny part is that if you want to send the final sequence over to a Pi (as an example) then you need to go one step further and make an OGG file so you really do need that conversion software.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, »
There is an option to create an HLS sequence with no audio....which these are (no mp3 or wav file)....It looks like it creates a PCM file regardless (just tested it to make sure something was not odd since these are older sequences). I assume since the sequence XML shows a PCM file the xlights converter assumes there is audio (reasonable)....So was hoping there was a way I could correct that in xlights.

I can ultimately "fake" xlights out by putting a silent mp3 out there, but would prefer to break the association since there is no audio for these two sequences.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, »
Good point...and you can make nutcracker sequences (timed animations) that don't need audio. I'll boot over to windows (i'm a mac guy lately) and see if I can see the same problem you are having..
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, »
OK..could not locate media file...there you go. been replicated :)

In the hlsidata file look for this line (probably 3rd) <AudioSourcePcmFile>F:\HLS\noaudio\NOAUDIO.PCM</AudioSourcePcmFile> just delete the f:\......PCM part and save it then convert. that fixes the problem for me.

Let me know if that works for you.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, »
I had seen that line and thought I tried that and still got the same error so assumed there were further lines....I will test it again for user error. :)
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, »
....I am running the latest HLS and nutcracker software. if that makes a difference.... if you have the same error, then we can try two more things...one I can send you my basic 2 channel test I did and see if you have the same problem, or you can send me your idata file and I'll see if I have the same problem.

let me know how you make out.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, »
I must not have saved the file after I removed that line....Looks like removing the line and reconverting takes care of it.

Thanks!!!

Have a couple more to do, but so far so good.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced