Author Topic: Need some help with a "MEGA" Tree  (Read 1860 times)

Offline arw01

Re: Need some help with a "MEGA" Tree
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, »
Ok, that does it.  You get my vote for the Griswald too, the ballon, that's just crazy talk but it works!

Someone suggested to me quadcopter too, there is another hobby I need like a hole in the head!

Yes, the leds would be thousands, just getting started this year.  I am liking the strobes up the trunk, some large balls put up there, and the projector as all possible ways to do something with the tree.

The bar is high in town..

Offline drlucas

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, »
Those there are some big arches!!! I was thinking 20-30' arches over the driveway but I have no idea how I would cross brace them.

Anyways two other far fetched ideas....and since this is a brainstorming thread we can't discount any option right??

1 - get a cat (real is best, but a stuffed one will work too) and get it up the tree. The higher the better. This is likely why a stuffed one is better than real. Then call 911 and report a cat stuck in the tree. When the fire department responds with the lift you are at the curb with the strands of lights and ready to go.

2 - chainsaw.

I know both options have their set backs but option 2 works only if you can get the wife out of town for a weekend and upon her return mention there was a windstorm and you are just fortunate her car didn't get damaged.

Failing those two ideas the helicopter sounds like a fun one to do. And with your 12v power supplies you can easily recharge the batteries you will be running through.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, »
Check out sparkleball.com

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Those there are some big arches!!! I was thinking 20-30' arches over the driveway but I have no idea how I would cross brace them.

Anyways two other far fetched ideas....and since this is a brainstorming thread we can't discount any option right??

1 - get a cat (real is best, but a stuffed one will work too) and get it up the tree. The higher the better. This is likely why a stuffed one is better than real. Then call 911 and report a cat stuck in the tree. When the fire department responds with the lift you are at the curb with the strands of lights and ready to go.

2 - chainsaw.

I know both options have their set backs but option 2 works only if you can get the wife out of town for a weekend and upon her return mention there was a windstorm and you are just fortunate her car didn't get damaged.

Failing those two ideas the helicopter sounds like a fun one to do. And with your 12v power supplies you can easily recharge the batteries you will be running through.

Hilarious :)
Sebastian from California

Offline arw01

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, »
On the arches I am thinking large rebar or a larger pipe, going up a foot or two and then the arch slides over that, unless the PVC buckles, it will hold it.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, »
Just a shame I don't have any 20' lengths of the sched 40 1/2" and 3/4" left uncut or I'd do some quick bend tests and see.

Sounds like another trip next week when I'm off to the plastics factory and talk to the guys there about this. I'll see if we can design about 5 arches that will run the length of the driveway and how much material id need and how many 4 way couplers for cross supports.

I'm thinking right now each arch would be 4' apart and between my sidewalk and garage. Can't remember if that's 16' in total or shorter....and with the temps as they are I'm going to measure tonight. :)

Back to the tree topic.....I was thinking along the same lines as the porcupine....make four or so vertical runs up the trunk of the tree and have a bunch of multi way connectors off each branch fork out horizontal along several branches at different heights on the way to the top. Each branch would be made of PVC and have nodes tie wrapped on them. Is that description something you can visualize? I think Home Depot and a few other stores are selling those branch- like lights and that's what I'm thinking of just on a much larger scale. Doesn't help with the how up get them in the tree but to secure them in the tree just use maybe three or four tie wraps along each branch. I'm not sure of the weight on the branches and if that would negatively impact this. Tear down is still no easier but maybe a bit so with just cutting the ties along each branch.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -