Author Topic: power supply connectors question  (Read 1097 times)

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
power supply connectors question
« on: January 04, 2014, »
When hooking up a larger PC supply, (Ex. 850W single rail)  do you use all of the hard drive connectors on one of the cables or do you try to hook up multiple cables coming out of the power supply to the 3 connectors on the Smart hub?

Mike
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline arw01

Re: power supply connectors question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, »
If your 4 pin molex connectors are on multiple outcoming wires, use as many different source wires as possible rather than 3 from the same set of wires.

Alan

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When hooking up a larger PC supply, (Ex. 850W single rail)  do you use all of the hard drive connectors on one of the cables or do you try to hook up multiple cables coming out of the power supply to the 3 connectors on the Smart hub?

Mike

I try to spread as much load as I can across as many wires as possible.  if I use all of the wires that have drive connectors -- then I will double and use connectors from the same cable (as my second choice).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, »
+1 plug in as many different wires as possible.

I personally think you often can buy another board for less than opting for the 'very large' ATX power supplies.

Last year the sweet spot for price/size seemed to be around 48-55 amps .... spending double to get a 70 amp PS never made sense
as I could get another hub or zeus board for about the same.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, »
Thanks for all the answers.  I bought this PS on sale and for my active hub I am still calculating how much power I will need but want to make sure that I was covered.  I am currently waiting for my 8 and 16 port Zeus to show up and I have smaller supplies for those and specific projects.
Thanks to all your feedback I was able to trim back excess cables and get the supply and hub ready to mount in its battery box.

Happy New Year!

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!