Author Topic: Zeus updates  (Read 9153 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Zeus updates
« on: January 08, 2014, »
Can anyone that was able to get and use their Zeus's give me feedback on things I need to look at on them for bug fixes, changes etc?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Zeus updates
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, »
the only issue I had with my two zues was channels sticking on full. for the most part my 2 zues ran great once set up properly, but the last week of the show being up and running, I had about 30 channels on one string that would stay on full even after a reboot several times. I did not reflash the pic due to the show was almost done and weather has been a doozy this year so I would just unplug the power to the zues overnight and plug it back in the next day. even after doing that everyday and night for a week, they would still stay lit full on threw half of a string, right in the middle. the nodes prior to and after were working fine.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, »
Normally that would be a string issue with a node not passing data along so the nodes after it stay struck where they are. You can also see this the voltage at the end of a string gets to low. Not to say we could not have an issue but I would look there first.

RJ

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, »
You may also swap the string with the stuck channels with the one next to it during the "reboot".  If the problem follows the port, then the issue is with the Zeus and if the problem still stays with the string, then the problem is the string.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, »
RJ, I had zero issues with the Zues.  I ran it for 5 hours every night for 34 nights. I never powered it down. On the Zues I used 12 of the 16 ports to control my first year version of Flex RGBs I purchased, when we start SSCs and active hubs a few years ago.  Each port controlled 99 nodes each.  It is an amazing device.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, »
I've discovered that one channel that was acting up on a Zeus for me ... controlled an up and down pair of conduit (128 SS nodes) went from working perfectly, to occasionally getting stuck on both sections, to later working fine on the up section, then dying on the down section at a certain node.  I think a node was perhaps failing and eventually died and stopped passing signal.  It actually worked better after the node died, because the nodes up to that point become reliable ... and I just lost the downward 64 nodes only which was a smaller issues than having both of them stopping.  I don't blame that on the Zeus, but it could have caused some other problems I was seeing when going from zeus to zues .... since the problem all originated zeus on this channel which I now know has the failed SS node on it.  Overall it worked awesome ... running 3 on a 24 string pixel tree and running 1 on 8 string matrix.  I even blew a fuse somehow while programming it ... but its nice to know that works and they were easy to replace.  Its a nice improvement over the SS hub fuses which blow but are harder to replace.  I think the ability to address to 2 pixelnet universe range might be a nice enhancement and as well as a second pixelnet out.  Again, overall very satisfied and impressed with the zeus.   It was also a much easier build for me than doing 16 ssc(s).  Soldering the fuse holders in was a bit challenging but learned a few tricks to me even that fairly easy.  THanks RJ  !!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, »
I am wondering of there is an issue with power distribution.  Low power and / or excessive voltage drop can cause many of these issues. 

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, »
Glad to here guys

Tbone - the traces are heavy on the Zeus is heavy so there should be very little drop there. Not to say it is not the issue but it should have anything 16 ports of a hub will handle without issues.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, »
Glad to here guys

Tbone - the traces are heavy on the Zeus is heavy so there should be very little drop there. Not to say it is not the issue but it should have anything 16 ports of a hub will handle without issues.

RJ

Man,  it sucks when you read your own post later and can't understand it.  <fp.

I have a hard time typing on small keyboards.  I meant the traces are heavy on the Zeus so I would not expect this to be the issue.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, »
Do you feel for the cost to build it, that you get a lot of bang for the dollar? Or did we miss the mark on it?

RJ

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, »
Without a doubt the Zeus was extremely cost effective. The cost per 128ch SS controller is far less than even the SSC v4 and it saved me both money and time because the zeus is a quicker/easier build than 16 SSC(s) and they all share a single cheap battery box enclosure (no pvc cutting, caps, drilling) ... and even attaching the waterproof connectors to the Zeus was faster/easier than soldering on to SSCs.  Yes, its not going to replace the SS HUB(s) and SSC's ... but for a pixel tree or matrix ... excellent price/value.  I was initially tempted at the Zeus8, but I decided the extra channels made the Zeus16 a better buy ... and it was nice having that extra capacity in case a channel blew a fuse or otherwise had issues.  Note: I did blow one fuse and had I needed all 8 channels on a Zeus8 I might have been in trouble ... but with the Zeus16, I just moved used the next spare channel, reprogrammed its info ... and skipped replacing the fuse till after the season was over. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, »
Glad to here guys

RJ

Man,  it sucks when you read your own post later and can't understand it.  <fp.

I have a hard time typing on small keyboards.  I meant the traces are heavy on the Zeus so I would not expect this to be the issue.

RJ

I understood you the first time so there was no need to correct what you said.  I have not built mine yet and have no doubt that you took current draw into consideration when designing the traces but there are many things that could cause voltage issues.  I just opened the box and am looking at the board and one possible issue that I see is that the holes for the fuse holders are way larger than the pins on the fuse holders and this can lead to possible issues with soldering.  If those fuse holders wiggle while the solder is cooling down it could cause a cold solder joint an we know how well they conduct.  If people don't strip the wires on the strings properly, you could have excessive breakage at the connection, again causing significant voltage drops.  As for the device itself, I think that it is a great idea and for it's intended puproses, you simply can't get more bang for the buck.  Great job RJ.

Offline spudman78

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, »
The Zeus has proved to be a very robust design for me so far. I Placed the Zeus16 in a battery box and hooked it up to my 12 string by 80 node, (folded over to produce a 24 by 40 node) megatree. Testing went so well that in my excitement, I failed to replace the top on the battery box. Of course it started to rain overnight. The next day my wife called me at work and informed me that the megatree had turned on by itself. I had her unplug it and she replaced the missing cover, but the damage was done. I brought everything back into the house when I got home from work. I pulled the pigtails off and let the board dry in front of a hair dryer set on low for about 6 hours. After a indoor test I hooked everything back up outside and it has worked flawlessly every night since. This includes the -15 degree actual, -40 degree windchill of the past couple of nights. Needless to say, I am impressed.
Thanks RJ.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, by spudman78 »

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, »
Do you feel for the cost to build it, that you get a lot of bang for the dollar? Or did we miss the mark on it?

RJ

most cost efficient piece i believe you've built yet. AWESOME IS THE WORD! i used two of them on my mega tree and will have 2 more for this year for a matrix.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline bassmants

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, »
 <wd.. <wd..
The Zeus has proved to be a very robust design for me so far. I Placed the Zeus16 in a battery box and hooked it up to my 12 string by 80 node, (folded over to produce a 24 by 40 node) megatree. Testing went so well that in my excitement, I failed to replace the top on the battery box. Of course it started to rain overnight. The next day my wife called me at work and informed me that the megatree had turned on by itself. I had her unplug it and she replaced the missing cover, but the damage was done. I brought everything back into the house when I got home from work. I pulled the pigtails off and let the board dry in front of a hair dryer set on low for about 6 hours. After a indoor test I hooked everything back up outside and it has worked flawlessly every night since. This includes the -15 degree actual, -40 degree windchill of the past couple of nights. Needless to say, I am impressed.
Thanks RJ.

Wow!  Can't wait to get mine in the next couple days and play...