Author Topic: Zeus updates  (Read 9154 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Zeus updates
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, »
Is this the only ones to comment?  I know only a certain number were able to get them and build them this year but if you did let me know what your experience was like with it so I can improve it.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, »
As I said before, the zeus worked perfectly well, outside of one minor issue, that was solved fairly easily by reprogramming it.
The addition of manually changeable fuses is (to me) one of the best breakthrough in the design compared to a HUB/SSC solution. In 2012, I had a few fuses blowing on some HUBS, and there was no way I could have changed them during the season. This year I was looking forward to having some blow on the Zeus :P
It would be great to be able to maximize the outputs. Currently the maximum load is 16 strings of 85 pixels, as anything above that ends up on more than one pixelnet universe. It is not uncommon to have megatrees with 32 strings of 50 nodes (16 folded strings of 100 nodes) or matrices of more than 1360 pixels. Of course, that means bigger PS but anyone going for those kind of numbers will not be stopped by the price difference between a 600W PS and a 800+W PS.

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, »
I just received my 3 Zeus 8's and was able to get them built and test this weekend RJ the cost of the controller is just unbelievable for the controller I have built and all I am doing at this time is playing with it. I am new to pixelNet this year and I still need to get my head wrapped around it. I have seen a few times if I turn the Zeus on before the PixelNet EtherDongle
Some of the pixels will come on but as soon as I turn the dongle on they go out other than that I have seen no other issues at this time. Great Job

Richard   

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, »
What might be very nice is the ability to jumper a zues16 so that the first 8 channels use a certain pixelnet universe and the second 8 channels use a second pixelnet universe.   Yes, very often they might be set the same, but if you had say 16 128 node strings, that's over 6k channels .... So would be nice to be able to split those up into two pixelnet universes somehow.   Another nice to have would be an option for a second pixelnet out.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, »
What might be very nice is the ability to jumper a zues16 so that the first 8 channels use a certain pixelnet universe and the second 8 channels use a second pixelnet universe.   Yes, very often they might be set the same, but if you had say 16 128 node strings, that's over 6k channels .... So would be nice to be able to split those up into two pixelnet universes somehow.   Another nice to have would be an option for a second pixelnet out.

It would add about $10 but I could make it where each string could be set to any of the four universes. the design was done as is for cost reasons. I was trying to make a very cost effective device.

This would be something we would need to decide if people want soon before coops are running.

RJ

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, »

It would add about $10 but I could make it where each string could be set to any of the four universes. the design was done as is for cost reasons. I was trying to make a very cost effective device.

This would be something we would need to decide if people want soon before coops are running.

RJ

RJ,

This might be a really nice option for quite a few people.  It would allow the end user the ability to set up their software easier by utilizing the hardware option.  I know I used Vixen 3 last year and I'll actually handle all my set up via the software, but for some other software, it might be easier for the end user to set it up in the hardware.  It would just make it that more versatile of a product.  Would also be nice for utilizing larger PS with multiple options.

Just my 0.02!

Duane

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, »
The focus on being cost effective is very much appreciated!

I would not want any coop to be held up because of these 'nice to haves'.

I will say that for my own show, I seem to have a lot of unused pixelnet channels in various pixelnet universes ... so having the ability to set each channel to its own universe would be a significant bonus for me (well worth the $10) because I could utilize a lot of the unused ranges I have ... and that would eventually save me from having to get a third etherdongle at some point.  Most of those unused pixelnet channel ranges were created by having to assign each active/or/passive hub/zeus to a single pixelnet universe and usually the leftover channels were insufficient to assign another hub or zeus to.

For example ... here are my free/unused pixelnet channels for my two etherdongles (4 pixelnet/PN universes each).  You can see that it would be hard to fit a fully loaded zeus into any of these free ranges, except the one totally free 4096 universe.  And if the Zeus had (16) 128 node strings on it ... the 6192 channel could then be spread out into 4 different universes to help fill those empty ranges.

ED#=etherdongle
PN-U#=pixelnet universe#

ED#1-PN-U#1 - 1401 free (range#1)
                         180 free (range#2)
                         293 free (range#3)
ED#1-PN-U#2 - 2425 free
ED#1-PN-U#3 - 647  free (range#1)
                       121  free (range#2)
                         47  free (range#3)
ED#1-PN-U#4 - 4096 free

ED#2-PN-U#1 - 613  free
ED#2-PN-U#2 - 613  free
ED#2-PN-U#3 - 1774 free
ED#2-PN-U#4 - 1000 free
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, »
$10.00 does not seem like much if it gives the user a little more flexibility and it still keeps it cheaper than the other pixel controllers I use.

Offline arw01

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, »
RJ, can the pcb be updated to allow optional components like we do with the 12v option on the hubs?  Without the options you are on the universe like the current Zeus, with the options installed you get to pick.

Either way I'm in, the extra $10 for the flexibility would be worth it.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, »
RJ, can the pcb be updated to allow optional components like we do with the 12v option on the hubs?  Without the options you are on the universe like the current Zeus, with the options installed you get to pick.

Either way I'm in, the extra $10 for the flexibility would be worth it.

I would like to see a 12v ONLY version (dual 12v input)....with 16 ports some of the bench supplies I have wouldn't support the full load to drive 16 ports.

Additionally, (and i'm thinking about down the road when you might want to look at retiring a product like the active hub), add the ability to connect one port to a downstream SSC. Then we have flexibility to connect display items in the yard at a longer distance. If costs become an issue with that design, then maybe not a good idea.

Also the ability to vacuum the floor in my house would be nice, and perhaps catch up on some laundry on Sundays for me. Oh wait....I'm getting off topic now aren't i.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, »
Not to focus too much on my last comment, but I'm just starting to drool at the thought of being able to "plug up" (use up) all these unused pixelnet ranges with a zeus board.  Because even using a hub (or current zeus), your "landlocked to a single pixelnet universe" and the free ranges that one pixelnet universe has (usually not enough) ... but if RJ were to make this assignable on a new zeus16, then a zeus could use up free pixelnet channels on 'up to' 4 pixelnet universes which would be a dream.  I was originally thinking just 2 universes by the way RJ is thinking is far better, because its far more versatile.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, »
Ok this is what I came up with. It has a four way jumper for each string and allows you to choose which universe each string is listening to. The additional cost on a 100 unit coops is $9.15 for the extra parts. Before I order proto pcbs is everyone on board with the cost increase for this capability?

If so I will order a couple of boards and see if the beta guys will run them throught the paces so we can get ready for a coop.

RJ

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2014, »
WOW

I"m certainly ok with it (for the reasons listed above) ...

THANKS RJ !!!   <res.

Offline arw01

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2014, »
+1 for me as well..

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2014, »
I think this is a great idea!

Kevin