Author Topic: Zeus updates  (Read 9152 times)

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
Re: Zeus updates
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, »
WOW, thanks RJ; that was quick.

I think for the small increase in cost it sure gives you a lot more flexibility.  With the way the channels have been expanding over the last few years, having the ability to choose the universe is becoming a requirement.

Denny

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok this is what I came up with. It has a four way jumper for each string and allows you to choose which universe each string is listening to. The additional cost on a 100 unit coops is $9.15 for the extra parts. Before I order proto pcbs is everyone on board with the cost increase for this capability?

RJ

It seems to me that to anyone who might want to go more than 1365 pixels in an single location (big matrix/megatree, addition pixel strings nearby) or to just give some room for expansion $9.15 is a ridiculously low price to pay. I'm a little sorry that I already bought and put together 2 Zeus 16s, because this will be hard for me to pass on.  It theoretically increases the number of potential channels from 4096 to 6144 an increase of 50%.

Due to the underwhelming response to my Zeus 4 suggestion :) I am assuming that a Zeus 4 is not in the cards for a coop at this time.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, »
Awesome 9 bucks is nothing compared to the benefits you gain.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, »
Due to the underwhelming response to my Zeus 4 suggestion :) I am assuming that a Zeus 4 is not in the cards for a coop at this time.

Yeah unless more people have a need for it it would not be cost effective to do. The biggest issue for most I think is the cost would not be very much different from the zeus 8. If we could do it for half the cost it likely would be more attractive to members but that isn't possible.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, »
Would you be planning on adding the option to the Zeus 8 as well ?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, »
Would you be planning on adding the option to the Zeus 8 as well ?
.  I was not planning it as space may be an issue. Not sure yet.

RJ

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, »
That is an awesome option for the Zeus for the price

Offline egenoup

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, »
I think it is a great idea and the additional cost is minimal.

I just have a quick question, that if you would prefer, we could take offline.  I will post it here and if you find that you want to discuss privately, then just send a reply via a message.

Couldn't this functionality be achieved in software?  Do you have 3 additional i/o pins available so you could connect the other 3 universes to each of the PICs and select the universe in software?  I am not taking a stab at anything you are doing, just asking a question.

Thanks,

Charles/Egenoup

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, »
Unfortunately, that won't likely work since the serial input of the PIC is only connected to one pin on the package.  It's not until you get to the PIC32 family of chips where you can connect the serial input to one of many pins and select which one you are using in software.

/mike

Offline tbone321

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, »
This sounds like a great idea and would save on both hardware cost and board space. The two issues that I see with doing this is that you would not know from looking at the board what universe the port is connected too and that it would once again make the configuration utility incompatible between the Zeus and the V4 SSC.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline egenoup

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, »
That answers that!....  Never mind my question then... I sometimes forget which microcontrollers have hardware serial vs software... but thanks for the clarification. 

My vote is for additional hardware for the added functionality.   <wd..

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, »
5 protos pcbs have been ordered. It will be about 3 weeks. I will need at least one person willing to build it and test it for me.

RJ

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, »
I will put my name in the hat

Offline njKeever

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, »
I'd love to build and test a Zeus.

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2014, »
It appears that for those that have unassembled Zeus kits, the difference would be the 'new'  PCB and the 15 pins and jumpers...    (I hope I didn't miss anything).  This upgrade kit would be could be included in the COOP. 

Larry
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012