Author Topic: Conductor Updates  (Read 17030 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Conductor Updates
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2014, »
I wonder if it would be possible to start the show from the point it would be in at the given point in time.  It appears that the slave is able to do this when the conductor sends it the start and timing data.  I know that it is not as easy as it sounds but is that a possibility?  If the Cnductor also knows how long the show is, when starting up it could look at the previous show and determine if that show should be currently running.  If not, then it waits for the next scheduled show and if so, it can scan thru the show file looking for the point in the show where it should be and start the show from that point.  If you were to connect the Conductor to a UPS and a power failure were to occur, the Conductor would have no idea and would continue to run the show.  When the power returned, the lightss would continue at the point in show time that the power returned so there would be no difference in looks.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline caretaker

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, »
One reason I did not choose to run the Conductor for my show was the limits in the schedule system (Not a fault just a reality) With xLights I had a pre-show schedule from 5pm till 6pm and then the main show from 6pm till 9pm.  My pre show would repeat from 5pm till about 6:05 pm as if it was before 6pm xLights would start another song. Same with the main show it would start when the pre-show ended (between 6pm and 6:07pm ) and would end with the closing announcment anywhere from 9pm to 9:07pm. While this allowed flexibility ( If I started my computer late IE after 5pm it would still run the show) it did come at a cost of running at precise times.
So the way I see it, you can either have precise start times but if you miss the start time there is no going back. (The train has left the station) OR you can have shows that may run slightly over end times/ end with gaps between next show.

Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2014, »
One reason I did not choose to run the Conductor for my show was the limits in the schedule system (Not a fault just a reality) With xLights I had a pre-show schedule from 5pm till 6pm and then the main show from 6pm till 9pm.  My pre show would repeat from 5pm till about 6:05 pm as if it was before 6pm xLights would start another song. Same with the main show it would start when the pre-show ended (between 6pm and 6:07pm ) and would end with the closing announcment anywhere from 9pm to 9:07pm. While this allowed flexibility ( If I started my computer late IE after 5pm it would still run the show) it did come at a cost of running at precise times.
So the way I see it, you can either have precise start times but if you miss the start time there is no going back. (The train has left the station) OR you can have shows that may run slightly over end times/ end with gaps between next show.

I have the same setup. I have a preshow that is 59 minutes long. It starts at 6:00pm and ends at 6:59pm. First show starts at 6pm.

the point about precise timing is correct. I created with the intent to have the start times percisely when I scheduled them. Since running over is not ok on my setup as I would have people arrive with no where to park and blocking the show try to get a place to park. I will need to look at it but not sure it is possible to do make it fit every possible way someone could try to do scheduling.

But I would like to have it be useable for people. Did not know people were not using it for these reasons. 

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2014, »
If someone wants to try this updated conductor firmware. The only difference is the volume issue should be resolved. So someone that was having this issue please test it. i was not having it so me testing is not valid. it will default to a lower level so you will need to set it to want you want and then test to see if it losses it.

Once I know that fixed it then I can more on to other issues.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2014, »
This is a firmware with what I hope might be a fix to the lights stopping when plugged into a network issue. Can members that were having this please test this to see if it resolves that issue for us. I could never duplicate it on my system.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, »
Here is firmware with the other changes and the first of the schedule changes to test. If you schedule shows to repeat from a time to an end time then they will start at any time in between the points of the start and end if you power up the conductor.

I will not be able to do any more changes until i can get some feedback on these changes to see if we are making any headway.

RJ

Offline egenoup

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, »
Did a quick test of the Conductor running V72.  Here is what I did and tested:

created a short 10 minute schedule for the current day and time.
Waited for the scheduled show to start
unplugged the conductor
plugged conductor back in.

Show restarted and the lynx conductor control panel showed the correct show running.  The timer started to count from the time it initiated the show.

repeated the power cycle several times and noted that the show restarted (as expected).

Then tried to stop the show to run a manual sequence.  I hit the "stop shown" button and the show stopped, but after 6 seconds the show restarted.  Tried stopping the show several more times with the same result.

The show stopped on its own at the end of the scheduled time.

Some may want to stop a scheduled show once it has began to run.  I for one don't mind if this unintended functionality is fixed or not, as long as the show restarts after reboot if it is scheduled to run.

I will perform some more testing tomorrow night and throughout the week.  I will let you know if I find anything else.

Thanks,

Charles/Egenoup
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, by egenoup »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, »
You might need to make the restart show an ability that can be turned on and off.  It could be set with a checkbox on the utility screen.  Then the user has the ability to decide if they want the Conductor to try and restart the show or not.  The code could also be altered to uncheck this function when the stop button it pressed.  This will prevent the unit from trying to restart a scheduled show when the user is trying to run a show manually.  The user can always recheck the box when they are done and want the Conductor to restart shows in the future.

Offline md4today

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, »
I think simply doing the start check only at firmware boot-up would be the simplest method. If you manually stop a show then want to restart it just unplug and reapply power.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, »
It may be the simplest but not the the most usefull.  Giving the user the option of having this ability or not is the most usefull even though not always the easiest to implement.  The Conductor may be remotely mounted and not in a location where it can be easily unplugged and re powered. 

Offline md4today

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, »
I thought this modification was to make it to where shows would restart upon re-application of power. So making it not restart when the stop button is pressed is all that is needed. Are you proposing some other functionality.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, »
Yes, that would be needed but why make it all that is needed?  I don't have the source code in front of me but it appears that the test is happening after bootup and I'm sure that there is a reason for doing it that way.  Since that is the way it currently works, it seems more functional to simply make that test conditional rather than rewriting the entire routine.  A simple switch on the trigger can enable - disable it and offer more function to the user as well.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, »
Has anyone had a chance to check on the network killing the light issue or the volume issue?

Please let me know what you found. I would like to get these issue resolved.

RJ

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, »
I have not been able to test the latest modifications. My setup has been brought down a few weeks ago, and (at least with the network issue) it is improbable I will be able to run a full test for a little while.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, »
Ill test here in the next couple of days.