Author Topic: Robo Light  (Read 28568 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Robo Light
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, »
Like all the Lynx equipment this would not be avaliable for commerical uses like that. Only personal light shows.

I have not had any time for this project. Other items have been taking my time.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, »
Maybe I misunderstood your definition of non-commercial since I assumed the theater example I gave was a non-commercial use as most community theater groups are just a bunch of volunteers who donate their time and enjoy putting on shows. If there are organizations behind them they are usually non-profit groups. 

...and I'd still want them for my own light display  :)

No worries, when time permits, I'll be anxious to see what you come up with. Thanks again for all you do for this community.

-Mike

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, »
Maybe one helpful rule of thumb is this. If good local goverment who did their job well might have the fire inspector inspect it, then it is commerical to me. If not then it might be.

Any building where you are putting the equipment inside and people pay to come see it is commercial to me.

if it is a church, rave, movie theather, community hall, community theather, etc it is commerical to me.

This is a liability item. I can not allow people to use this equipment as if it is commerical equipment. It is not UL certified.  It must be built for your use in a personal use for entertainment and education only.

That is just the way it is sorry!

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, »
Thanks for clarifying RJ.  I see now your concern is liability, not the monetary aspect.  So really, the key phrase is that these items are for "personal use".  I'm perfectly cool with that. Thanks.

-Mike

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2011, »
I'm late to this party. I'm a fairly regular customer of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and decided to buy their high power RGB LED with their Free Day money. It uses Luxeon Rebel LEDS in a tri-mount arrangement. It has a couple of reflectors available; wide and flood. Not a very good blend but that could also be addressed with a lens/diffuser forward of the reflector.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - RGB Triple Play $19.95
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - RGB Driver $48.95
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Narrow Lens $5.95
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Heat Sink $3.95

The driver is extremely expensive and I have reported to them that is about 2X what it should be by looking a the BOM. This is where we could probably see a significant savings. Not saying this is the light engine we should use but another couple data points on finding something suitable. It's also in the approx. $80 range.

Ken

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, »
It looks like ADJ came up with something.....

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

4 white led each with a Pan and tilt "robo".

Now, if you you use the RGB  Aether II coupled with the Bobcat Servo Controller....

video
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login!
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, »
This is cool, but $800 bucks?!?!  Why could you NOT do this with your idea?  It looks as though there are two motors per light.  The 12vAC transformer and other components could be housed in the rail that the lights are connected to giving a single 110vAC cord and CAT5 down to the base.  It would work well with my pirate band for this years Halloween display!!

Do you think the motors are direct drive or belt driven?
- Mark

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, »
I heard these were stepper motors, however, I cant see how accurate the positioning would be...

I ordered a bunch of of the bobcat servo boards, some for animated heads, like the 3 axis skulls, but will probably work on combining an aether2 for  aimable floods. may look into narrow beam GB's as well.....

That seams to be the problem with all this stuff.....so many ideas...so little time (focus)....Oh look.....blinky !
think Im suffering from ADD  till the next blinky thing comes along... >.d9

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, »
So ... Gator ....  Tell me about using the Bobcat servo boards with your 3-axis skulls.  Have you done it yet?  Work well?  I am currently using the SSC32 with the VSA software and I want to have the ability to bring everything together in one house so that I can program specific timings.  Have a dualing cannon display I am doing this year and it will involve talking, firing cannons, lights, smoke, air, etc and it is rather difficult to do this with multiple programs running!
- Mark

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, »
The BobCat thread is here

The Co-op is closed and I believe Mike, busy as he is, is getting close to shipping out the kits/pcb's

Once word gets out about these....Im positive there will be another Co-op very soon.

I have one skull built, driving it currently with a home brew servo "tester" through an audrino and a couple of joysticks.
 Hope to have another one done in Feb.

The cool part of the BobCat, is that it will drive 8 servos AND 8 channels of LED's...from DMX......all for about $17.00 a board...complete! ( no cases though....you have to be creative)

I'm looking into doing animated carolers similar to robohead  http:\\www.robobones.com

Trying to work out an interace from the BobCat to switch the HF power supply to drive EL wire

There was another post from  maffeirw

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you decide to use Vixen for your animation ctmal at DIYC wrote a Vixen Add-In and came up with some techniques to help animate 3-axis skulls which might come in handy with any project that involves head and mouth movement.
See these links
Skull Sequencer AddIn

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, »
I guess this is going to be another nail in the coffin for me to move from LOR to Vixen then!  I know there are form C relays that can be driven from the servo line but have nothing from the LED side.  I am in need of this as well so that I can keep one board per animatronic! Let me know what you come up with please  ;D
- Mark

Offline rm357

Robo Light
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, »
The circuit should not be difficult, but you need to know what the PWM output on the LED connections looks like first...

Pulse width modulation is a technique that is often used for dimming light sources... PWM is also used to tell the servo what poison it should be in.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, »
The circuit should not be difficult, but you need to know what the PWM output on the LED connections looks like first...

Pulse width modulation is a technique that is often used for dimming light sources... PWM is also used to tell the servo what poison it should be in.

RM

With the EL wire, it's pretty much on or off, you just select sections to light similar to the talking pumpkins you've seen in the videos.  My issue is the power supply is 120VAC to 12VDC wall wart, plugs into the high frequency generator which outputs 177VAC @around 400HZ. Currently, In playing with a 8 section face ( 4 mouth,3 eyes,1 nose)  with 12VDC coil phoenix relays (very small frame/ din rail mount) switching the sections on or off.

Check out You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and look on the page for robo head. you get the basic idea......

too many ideas and I'm already running short on time for 2012 halloween and Christmas.....

Offline rayster

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, »
Why not use a Crydom D2W203F Solid State Relay, 3 volt turn on at 3ma draw.

Ray

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, »
I use the phoneix because I have easy access to them, plus, if one fails, I just pop it out and insert a new one- no un-wiring anything!

And before you jump, these are some 24V variety I had near my bench. I have 12V set aside...as in no time to assemble them yet.....