Author Topic: Robo Light  (Read 28566 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Robo Light
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, »
I have one. I tried it but found it to be too wide for me. I was looking for a spot not a flood. The grate also cut down the light too much imho. It did a good job of blending the colors but really put a hurt on the output. I would recommend everyone look for anything that will work well. I just don't want you to think I threw a tube on and said, There it looks good. I tried the factory unit and about 10 different ones out of flashlights. A few lens I could find. Some lens focused the beam nicely but seperated the colors so you had spots of each color instead of blending.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline grages

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, »
I wasn't trying to say that you hadn't.  I think at this point that you have the best light source.  With that light engine the only choice is to add a reflector to narrow the beam.  That is what the one I indicated does, takes the beam from about a 130 degrees to 25 degrees total angle.  But the size will not fit into what I remember the tube robo has in it.  The literature indicates you can leave the lens off but again it doesn't matter as the size does not work.  I have looked at alot of LED light engine data sheets and I see no better option than the one you have chosen.
"A polar bear is just a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform"

Offline grages

• Patron Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, »
RJ,

What is the inside diameter of the Tube used for RoboLight? And the length of the tube, also.

Shawn
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, by grages »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, »
It's packed upstairs in the garage. I will get the info as soon as I have a chance to dig it out.

RJ

Offline grages

• Patron Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's packed upstairs in the garage. I will get the info as soon as I have a chance to dig it out.

RJ

Not a super rush, but since we don't have a better choice on light engines the only option is to improve the light output reflected.  I have a rough design for a parabolic reflector and I need the actual inside diameter and the approx length of the tube.  I have all of the calculations in a spread sheet.  Here is the rub because of the placement of the led elements on the engine they really are not a point light source, this makes the focal point an approximation, meaning not a perfect parallel reflection will be produced.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, »

RJ

Not a super rush, but since we don't have a better choice on light engines the only option is to improve the light output reflected.  I have a rough design for a parabolic reflector and I need the actual inside diameter and the approx length of the tube.  I have all of the calculations in a spread sheet.  Here is the rub because of the placement of the led elements on the engine they really are not a point light source, this makes the focal point an approximation, meaning not a perfect parallel reflection will be produced.

Yeah! What he said!  ;D   

Actual I understood but i was funnier that saying that.

RJ

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, »
This topic has been dead for 3 weeks, so I am bringing it back to life.  RJ, since you already have a couple Robo lights in use in your display, what would it take to make this available to the crowds (6 people) gathered at your doorstep chanting "Ro-bo-light, Ro-bo-light"?  Does it NEED to be improved on ( reflectors, refractors, lenses, tubes, whatever...), or would you be able to sleep at night knowing that your current design is in use in displays all around the world? 
Excess is Success

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, »
This topic has been dead for 3 weeks, so I am bringing it back to life.  RJ, since you already have a couple Robo lights in use in your display, what would it take to make this available to the crowds (6 people) gathered at your doorstep chanting "Ro-bo-light, Ro-bo-light"?  Does it NEED to be improved on ( reflectors, refractors, lenses, tubes, whatever...), or would you be able to sleep at night knowing that your current design is in use in displays all around the world? 

The design is a doable setup right now. It is expensive compared to what I would like it to be. My problem with releasing it is this:

1 - I have no time at the moment to do anything needed to put it out. And there is a lot of instructions needed to build it. not hard just to get the information across.

2 - The system to be a real good system is too course right now. It need to have some work done to make the positioning go in smaller steps and to have some logic behind it so Vixen can effectively use it with on a lot of hard work.

I know what I have to do but as I have to keep reminding everyone There is only one of me. And everyone has different things they want. So somethings will wait. Right now actively I am working on the refit of the Freestyle, The SSR4, and have the wireless waiting.

in the background there is the Ledtriks II, The LYNX II, And my show this year not to count all the laser work to setup and seqence if I go that route this year.

I need about 3 - 4 weeks of working on the complex code to make the Robo Light something everyone will really want and use. It will happen Just can't say when. 

RJ

Offline kylec

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Lake Stevens
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, »

I know what I have to do but as I have to keep reminding everyone There is only one of me. And everyone has different things they want. So somethings will wait. Right now actively I am working on the refit of the Freestyle, The SSR4, and have the wireless waiting.

in the background there is the Ledtriks II, The LYNX II, And my show this year not to count all the laser work to setup and seqence if I go that route this year.

I need about 3 - 4 weeks of working on the complex code to make the Robo Light something everyone will really want and use. It will happen Just can't say when. 

RJ

Completely understand.  If there is that much work to do just on the code alone the release of robo light should be only after the complete package is up to the standards of all of the other toys that you make available to us.  If that doesn't happen this year (or next) I dont think anyone will complain. I know that one of your main goals is to design things that you can use in your own display, and you have already spent a lot of time this year working on projects that you have no need for (freestyle, dongle, probably things I dont even know about). Thank you RJ
Excess is Success

Offline softshelpro

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, »
So what's the curent status on this toy?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, by softshelpro »
There are two types of people in this world, those who are Dorks and those who are in denial.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, »
Waiting for other projects to finish and have time for it.

RJ

Offline voyageurs60

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, »
I did not vote... don't understand what this project is... "Robo Light" searched and did not find it described... sorry, NOOB you know...
Light in Peace - voyageurs60 (Dan)

Offline lightingnut

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, »
I have some knowledge about this type of light. A couple of things. First, are you talking servos or stepper moters? Stepper moters are much better for pointing the light right where you want it. the big boy fixtures all use Stepper motors.

I would use a white LED and then use a color wheel to make the colors. Not sure if that would be cheaper or not. I know most of the new DJ LED fixtures use a white LED and a color wheel.

Some other items that would be nice to have is a gobo wheel? ( A wheel with patterens stamped in a steel wheel). Another item would be to have rotating gobos. As well as a 3 sided prism that would rotate.

Some of the uses I can think of is if doing a song that talks about say Mary and Joe and you have them in the yard you could point the light at that area of the yard. Kind of like a live theatre show. Another idea is to point them into the air or into the trees. A very cool effect when it is snowing or foggy.
Let me know your thoughts.

Offline skulldan

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, »
From what I remember (its been awhile since i ahve been around stage/theater lighting) you need a lens and the gobo to be at the focal point to project an image.
Based on what I understand from an earlier comment it is difficult to focus the light coming form the light source in the proposed light.

Although I agree it would be cool to have a gobo-able robolight to use
Dan

building my collection of blinkys

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, »
Since I haven't seen much posted here lately, I'm presuming this project is still on the back burner, but I'll make the annual request for any status update.   I do some local community theater tech work and, while this unit certainly won't compare to the multi-thousand dollar commercial instruments, it might have its uses.  I'd also love to use it to add some extra dazzle to my Christmas display.  Thanks.

-Mike