Author Topic: So let me see if I have this straight  (Read 1755 times)

Offline blearning

• Sound of Light
we have the dongle,

and then we can have 32 SSR4 DMX units (128 Channels)  and then we have to go to another Universe, or we can have 32 Lynx Express for 512 channels before adding another universe.   

Since the Freestyle is 128 channels  of 4 channel SSRs for the 512 ... we can only get 1 freestyle on a single dongle?

to get another universe do we just add another dongle?  Maybe a better question can Vixen handle more then a single dongle?

Just trying to make sense of all the new info ..

Merry Lightmass
Bill  AKA blearning AKA BL

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: So let me see if I have this straight
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, »
Greetings,,,

One dongle can put out 512 channels of information.  Then you decide how to handle those channels with various items.  You could have 4 FreeStyles with 32 non-DMX SSR4s each, or some 16 channel Lynx Expresses, etc.  Or mix and match.  You could even have multiple units that use the same channel information, but then they wouldn't be separate as to when they blink, dim, etc.

You can have multiple dongles on a computer, each with a universe of info, until you max out your computing power, but you need to test something like that to see what your max is.  And it would take lots of time to program.

Clearer?

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
we have the dongle,

and then we can have 32 SSR4 DMX units (128 Channels)  and then we have to go to another Universe, or we can have 32 Lynx Express for 512 channels before adding another universe.   

Since the Freestyle is 128 channels  of 4 channel SSRs for the 512 ... we can only get 1 freestyle on a single dongle?

to get another universe do we just add another dongle?  Maybe a better question can Vixen handle more then a single dongle?

Just trying to make sense of all the new info ..

Howdy

Each dongle can control up to 512 channels.
The 32 device limit has nothing to do with dmx512 standard. Its really just a chip problem (rs-485). But with a lynx splitter and or lynx wireless the device limit of 32 no longer is a concern.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, »

The Freestyle is 128 channels (32 RJ45s x 4 channels per RJ45 = 128 Channels), therefore 1 Freestyle = 128 channels. In order to get 512 channels using the Freestyle as reference you would need  4 Freestyles for a total of 512 channels + a total 128 SSR4s Non-DMX (128 SSR4s x 4 channel per SSR = 512 channels) for 1 universe.

I'm pretty sure Vixen should handle multiple universes.

Offline Aussiephil

• My Controllers
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, »
I have run up a sequence with 3 universes, 1536 channels, and Vixen keep working, was a nightmare to actually play with but it seemed to work. couldn't test the output to dongles though as i don't have multiple dongles.

As stated the 32 limit is a limit imposed by the worst case of the RS485 chips that specify 32 chips on one cable.

cheers
Phil
Never enough time
Dont Forget - "Play Nicely"

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, »
I have tested 2 Lynx Dongle (universes, 1024 channels) on Vixen with out issue.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying