Author Topic: Pixel Mega Tree  (Read 2946 times)

Offline klee

Pixel Mega Tree
« on: January 14, 2014, »
The question I have is,  if my tree pole is 17 feet tall and my bottom ring is 4 foot radius, will 16 of these bullet style WS2811 IP68 led pixel module 5volt, 50 Count, 50 12mm RGB Pixels/string look ok if I do 180 degree setup? or should I add a few more? 
Also,  What I understand is the strings are like 16.6 feet long and the hypotenouse will be 17.5' so that will give me room at the bottom to anchor the strings and keep them up off the ground.

But wondering what string count will be needed at 180 view for looking decent.
I haven't figured out where to post specific topics yet so forgive me if I put this in the wrong forum.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, by klee »

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: Pixel Mega Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, »
I suggest a Search of mega tree.  Most of usdo not use 5v string rather 12v.  180 is a perfect tree.  I actually have a flat tree set as 180 but looks 360.  I use flex strips instead of strings, but the effect is similar.  I am sure more will comment. There are many different styles of trees and voltages and all are great!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, »
Can someone move this thread to the proper location. Also please check, I thought this board was read only.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bakerlights

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, »
You may want to look at this topic to see what others are doing to setup their trees: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you have more questions after reading that, I am sure there will be plenty of people willing to answer them.

Steve

Offline klee

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, »
I did a search on mega trees, but I didn't arrive at the post you recommended.  thank you for showing it.

You may want to look at this topic to see what others are doing to setup their trees: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you have more questions after reading that, I am sure there will be plenty of people willing to answer them.

Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, »
It is all about what you want the tree to do and the density required to make it do it.  Unlike ican megatrees, the nodes are very directional so the ones on the back of the tree are really not seen and have little to no effect on the look of the tree from the other side. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, »
While flexible pixel strips are the easiest to use for building your pixel tree, they are typically spaced fairly close (between pixels) ... so this creates a high density in one direction and typically a much lower density in the perpendicular direction.  So the typical model has strips used on vertical supports or straps using say 1" spacing, but if you put 20 of them across your 180, then you horizontal density is less if you calculate the space between pixels.  Anyways, there is not right or wrong way -- they all look stunning, IMHO .  There is always a cost vs. labor equation to every design ... and you have to figure out which is best for you.  Beware of flexible pixel strips which turn on groups of pixels, as those are not a good choice for pixel trees.  It is better to have pixel (node) level control if possible.  And 12v is more common in this forum as stated already -- because the smart string gear uses 12v injection using common ATX single rail PC power supplies -- a great and simple design IMHO.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]