Author Topic: New firmware for V4  (Read 6142 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: New firmware for V4
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, »
Ok the files have been loaded to the previous post above as they should have been already. Give them a try and let me know how they work.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK the files have been loaded to the previous post above as they should have been already. Give them a try and let me know how they work.

RJ

I had an interesting problem with the testing of the new utility.

I started by using the new utility to program three strings on a Zeus 16 that I had previously hooked up to a 325 channel starburst.  I used the new utility to program the ports as follows:
Str1   3rd port      Start Chan:  1        Nodes: 117
Str2   4th port      Start Chan:  352    Nodes: 104
Str3   5th port      Start Chan:  664    Nodes: 104
I used xLights to create a number of Starburst effects and everything appeared to function normally.

I then flashed the pics in three SSCv4s with your new firmware and replaced the Zeus 16 with these SSCs attached to a passive hub. I proceeded to use the new Smart String Utility (selecting the SSC button) to setup the first 117 node string (Str1) .  I had no problem with the first SSC so I removed the jumper from the program header and placed it on the second SSC. I set the SS Utility for the Str2 parameters and when I transmitted the second set of lights flashed as expected but the first string 1st pixel lit white and the next 3 pixels on string 1 lit red. I moved the jumper to the 3rd string's SSC and set the parameters to Str3 again the string 3 lights flashed as expected but the same pixels on string one lit the same way as when the second string's SSC was programmed.  I removed the program jumper from the last SSC and tried the xLights sequence and it worked as expected.  I again opened the new SS Utility and started transmitting (with none of the programming jumpers installed) and got the same results as before except the third pixel did not light but the first was white and the 2nd and 4th were red.  After playing for a while I found out that when I increased the start channel to >1 the third pixel lit red.

I then hooked up the Zeus 16 again and reprogrammed the first 3 ports as Str1, Str2 & Str3. This time I noticed that it gave me the same results as the SSCv4's did with the first 4 pixels of the first string affected whenever parameters were transmitted.  When I used the Zeus button and tried programming all the ports at once, the same 4 pixels where effected but this time the 3rd pixel flashed red. 

As far as I'm concerned I can easily live with this as it appears not to effect the actual sequence presentation and only shows what seems like a minor bug with the utility.  If you need further testing I would be happy to oblige.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, »
You will see this as I am sending data out the same as I would to run a show. The difference is that on the ones in program mode they use to program themselfs with it. So this is normal unless I am not understanding. If you are saying lights blink on other strings when programming a different SSC or string on a Zeus then it is fine.

We just need to check that all the options work as expected. They should as the code is mainly the Zeus  code with minor differences.

Also we should likely verify that you can not mess up you Zeus by choosing SSC and trying to program it with it. Should just program the first string as I remember.

RJ

RJ

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, »
We just need to check that all the options work as expected. They should as the code is mainly the Zeus  code with minor differences.

Also we should likely verify that you can not mess up you Zeus by choosing SSC and trying to program it with it. Should just program the first string as I remember.

RJ

I set the Zeus 16 jumper to program and selected SSC in the utility. I set it to 25 nodes and transmitted the parameters. All the pixels on the first string flashed. After removing the jumper and sending a test sequence only the first 25 pixels in the first string responded to the sequence and the other 2 strings continued to work as expected.  I then reprogrammed the Zeus back to 117 pixels (using the BRG setting) and got the expected resulting shift in colors for the first string. Finally I reprogrammed the Zeus (using the SSC button) back to the original settings and everything worked fine.

At this point I can find no problems with either the SSCv4 firmware or the new Smart String Utility. Thanks for all you hard work on, well, everything :)

By the way the addition of Version 3 to the header and the About page will make it much easier to differentiate this from the prior iterations if any are necessary, which brings to mind one last question - can the new utility be used on V1&2 SSCs with the modification or will we continue to use the second version?

Ron
Luceat lux vestra

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, »
One a few people make sure the color settings and all features work on this new firmware I will post a V3 version for the modded old models. Then there will be just two firmwares for SSC, V3 & V4, One firmware for the Zeus(s) and one utility for the all.

RJ

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, »
 :-[ Miss read (Or did not read!)  the thread, Simply meant I had no issues with the V4!!  <fp. Sorry for the confusion!

Roger

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, »
Then there will be ... and one utility for the all.
RJ

It will be great to have "One Ring to rule them all" (bad Lord of the Rings reference), so I can stop reloading the correct SSR Utility everytime I need to program an SSR or Zeus.  :)
Luceat lux vestra

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, »
Then there will be ... and one utility for the all.
RJ

It will be great to have "One Ring to rule them all" (bad Lord of the Rings reference), so I can stop reloading the correct SSR Utility everytime I need to program an SSR or Zeus.  :)

Exactly! thats the plan. Just need some people to verify all is well first.

RJ

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, »
I'm get no output when I choose these 2 color combos.
Code: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
BGR
RBG
All the other combos work great and I get output.  I tested square models/flex strip/nodes/2811 rectangles(these need the BGR combo though)

Thats the only thing I've found so far, otherwise the channel works/# of nodes/null nodes/grouping/backwards/forward

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, »
Interesting! I will look into it.

RJ

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, »
Just wanted to see if you were able to find out the issue with those 2 not outputting.