Author Topic: Some assistance needed for novice, DMX dongle to Lynx Express  (Read 2279 times)

Offline GrumpkaXmas

• Behind the scenes of Grumpka's Holiday Lights & Sounds.
Well, I took the plunge and purchased some Lynx Express boards today. They are on the way. 

I'm somewhat excited, but also cautiously enthusiastic.  I have Version 2, Version 3, and one Version 4 in need of minor repair.
So, a total of five working boards (I hope).  Being a novice at this,  I thought purchasing a built system would be a good start.  I have all intentions of building boards ASAP.  Even have several parts on order, including a new FX888D. However, I wanted working models on hand to study and see how these things tick.  Aside from the fact, I am totally lost as to which system I'll enjoy best.   Lynx, Renards, Foxcub 16's, other?  Maybe, a little of each?  So, to my question:

Lynx Express happens to be one that will need a DMX dongle.  I guess I should have thought that through more...  I actually will have two Lynx DMX PCBS (no parts) with my new toys.   I just want to get this thing hooked up to Vixen and see some blinky flashy before I have to build anything specifically for Lynx.  What would everyone suggest for my first USB/DMX dongle for my Lynx Express boards?  Would like to keep it cheap, don't want to build it, and don't want to mess with programming it right off the bat...  Plug n Play is goal.   Does this mystical Dongle exist?

Any help appreciated.

Steve from NJ, AKA Grumpka Xmas
I don't get on the forums as much as I'd like but you can find me on Facebook. 
2014-First Year in the hobby.  15+ Lynx Express controllers

Offline tbone321

The Express is a DMX512 device which is an industry standard protocol.  Any device that puts out DMX512 will control the Express.  As for premade dongle the Entec DMX pro is a prebuilt dongle but is rather expensive.  The cost of pre made dongles is the reason for the existance of the Lynks USB dongle.  I'm not sure what you mean by programming it.  If you are referring to the firmware on the dongle, then you are back to the premade and expensive dongles.  If you are referring to the programming of the show itself, then you would be better off getting away from Lynks, Renard, and the rest of these controllers and sticking to the gemmi 6 and 12 channel show in a box controllers that appear in the big box stores with their holliday offerings.  As for mixing up controller types, I would aviod doing that.  Unless you find a controller that does a specific thing that you have to have in your show, mixing controller types always adds a level of complexity that can be a real hassle to work with, especially when it comes to support.

I would order the parts for your DMX dongle and go that route.  You could possibly even make a deal with someone to build it for you and flash the PIC in total for less money than purchasing an Entec Pro. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline GrumpkaXmas

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Express is a DMX512 device which is an industry standard protocol.  Any device that puts out DMX512 will control the Express.  As for premade dongle the Entec DMX pro is a prebuilt dongle but is rather expensive.  The cost of pre made dongles is the reason for the existance of the Lynks USB dongle.  I'm not sure what you mean by programming it.  If you are referring to the firmware on the dongle, then you are back to the premade and expensive dongles.  If you are referring to the programming of the show itself, then you would be better off getting away from Lynks, Renard, and the rest of these controllers and sticking to the gemmi 6 and 12 channel show in a box controllers that appear in the big box stores with their holliday offerings.  As for mixing up controller types, I would aviod doing that.  Unless you find a controller that does a specific thing that you have to have in your show, mixing controller types always adds a level of complexity that can be a real hassle to work with, especially when it comes to support.

I would order the parts for your DMX dongle and go that route.  You could possibly even make a deal with someone to build it for you and flash the PIC in total for less money than purchasing an Entec Pro. 

Thank you for the info.   I'm good on the understanding of the DMX512.  I came from the midi world.  In fact, I have a complete 32 channel midi control board that I setup to output 5v logic to 8 channel relay boards.  Used a midi seq. to drive those.  All easy stuff.  No dimming.   Min. wiring.  Only soldering was the output pins to the RJ11 jacks.  Great system, but not set up for outdoor installation and was very limited.   

I'm way beyond the realm of wanting a ready to go, free standing system.  That is one up from the MR. Christmas four channel light and sound.   Good for my first try this past Christmas, but I'm very creative and enthusiastic about learning and jumping into a full computer control system.  Anything less is going backwards for me big time.

I have looked at the Enttec Pro, even the mark 2,  but they are 160 pro and 190 for mk2.  I am all on board for that, once I can be sure these five boards work.  For now, I just need the cheapest possible means to get the DMX512 out from the USB port to Lynx with a proven dongle system.  If the answer is, I must build my Lynx DMX dongles, so be it.  I'm in it to learn to solder a full board, just never done it prior and not sure that was my first best shot at the venture ;)

Programming isn't even an issue (flash the PIC is just following directions).  I was more so worried about my understanding of the profiles and such I started reading about relating to the Lynx Dongle.  Seems like I have a lot to learn still though.  I have all these worries, like do I need to go into the source code and change the starting dmx address when I get these boards?   Will they just work as is?  If I buy one of these ActiDongleâ„¢ - Active DMX Dongle and would that be DMX512,  plug it into USB port, plug it into my Lynx, and go to vixen and blinky/flashy done?  Or would it fit me all the way.  Those are things I am curious about...   I guess for $50.00 I can just order that ActiDongle.  It's the cheapest thing that claims to be Enttec pro compatible and gets generally good reviews....

Thanks again for the input. HOpe I'm using the right terms and making some level of sense here....

Offline tbone321

If you look in the WIKI, it will show you how to change the starting address for the Express.  There are a few ways to do it and none of them require changes to any source code.  The Lynks line of equipment was designed to avoid the need for such low level operations.  I have not used the Actidongle but if it is Enttec compatible, then you should be good to go.  The only thing that I would confirm is that whatever sequencing software that you want to use is compatible with it. 

While much of the Lynks equipment is DMX, all of the Smart String line uses a protocol called PixelNet and that is a proprietary protocol.  Unlike the Actidongle, the Lynks USB dongle can be flashed to output Pixelnet so I would consider just building the USB dongle and save some money.  As for the PIC, there is a list of people in the WIKI that will flash it for you.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline GrumpkaXmas

If you look in the WIKI, it will show you how to change the starting address for the Express.  There are a few ways to do it and none of them require changes to any source code.  The Lynks line of equipment was designed to avoid the need for such low level operations.  I have not used the Actidongle but if it is Enttec compatible, then you should be good to go.  The only thing that I would confirm is that whatever sequencing software that you want to use is compatible with it. 

While much of the Lynks equipment is DMX, all of the Smart String line uses a protocol called PixelNet and that is a proprietary protocol.  Unlike the Actidongle, the Lynks USB dongle can be flashed to output Pixelnet so I would consider just building the USB dongle and save some money.  As for the PIC, there is a list of people in the WIKI that will flash it for you.

I'm reading it now actually.  Sounds very simple.  I'm going to do both most likely and order the Actidongle after a little more checking around, and also order the parts for the lynx dongle. Not going pixels any time soon though.  Although, the prospect of that many channels and that much control is amazing. ;)   

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
You might post a wanted to buy in the sale or trade section for a Lynx dongle.  Many folks that are moving to the Etherdongle have been willing to part with a working USB dongle.  Just post that you are looking for a working USB dongle and not a PCB which can be bought in the store.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline GrumpkaXmas

Ok.  Thanks Jim.  Can't hurt. 

Offline kernal

The Lynx is AMAZING!  Dollar for Dollar cant be beat...  I am adding the RGB side of animation this coming year and I am balding already...  and we are only a month in!  LOL...  Expresses were so easy compared to this!   Have fun and this is DEFINITELY the place to be for help from great guys (and some ladies)!!

My license plate says blinky.

Offline GrumpkaXmas

The Lynx is AMAZING!  Dollar for Dollar cant be beat...  I am adding the RGB side of animation this coming year and I am balding already...  and we are only a month in!  LOL...  Expresses were so easy compared to this!   Have fun and this is DEFINITELY the place to be for help from great guys (and some ladies)!!

Thanks so the confidence building post.   I'm going to try out a few options out.  Hopefully, there will be a source for new Express kits at some point.  (or even built ones for sale again).  I had the chance to buy a whole lot of them, but was way to new to take a giant leap of faith.  Of course, had a way to go back a week, I'd own an entire Lynx setup.  Oh well.  Live and learn  :-[

Offline RJ

• Administrator
There scheduling coops and it was high on the list of the poll so I am pretty sure one is coming.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline GrumpkaXmas

There scheduling coops and it was high on the list of the poll so I am pretty sure one is coming.

RJ

Thanks RJ.  I'll be keeping a look out for it.  Never did a GB Coop, but looking forward to it.   Thanks.