Author Topic: ActiDongle users?  (Read 7275 times)

Offline GrumpkaXmas

• Behind the scenes of Grumpka's Holiday Lights & Sounds.
ActiDongle users?
« on: February 01, 2014, »
If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, forgive me.  I did search the term "ActiDongle", and nothing came up here.  I also reviewed each subject and this seems like the best place at first glance to post a dongle questions.

Has anyone had any experience with HolidayCoro's ActiDongle?   I see good things about it here and there, but not too specific to Lynx Express or such.   This thing is $56.00 shipped to me, brandy new and ready to go.  For the price, I am hard pressed to find another solution for a novice.  I really just want to play with my Lynx express boards, and don't want to invest a penny more than I need to for the purpose of messing around a bit.  I'm also wanting to hook up my Casa BM laser to Freestyler via this DMX dongle.   

Ok, that's it.  I want to keep the question very specific.   I'm hoping if someone has one, they can chime in.  I'm well aware of the Lynx DMX board (have two coming my way for me to build).   

Thanks.
Steve from NJ, AKA Grumpka Xmas
I don't get on the forums as much as I'd like but you can find me on Facebook. 
2014-First Year in the hobby.  15+ Lynx Express controllers

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: ActiDongle users?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, »
Sorry I don't know anything about the Actidongle.

You might be able to get a used Lynx dongle in the sales board. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The advantage of going with that dongle is its well supported here along with the fact it has two modes DMX, Pixelnet so its expandable.
Of course most of the members here will say to go with the EtherDongle but that does cost more but if you do move into pixel nodes (RGB lights it is the better option).

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, »
For programming the lynx express, I wonder if only the Lynx usb dongle would work vs another brand?  DMX is supposed to be DMX, but I don't know if anything special gets sent down the line at programming time.

+1 on getting the actual lynx, as you can flash it to pixel net which is quite handy.

Alan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, »
As said before, the Express is a DMX device so this dongle will have no issue controlling it.  The only issue that you need to look into is what it is compatable with driver wise.  If the sequencing software doesn't understand how to communicate with it, then it's not going to be of much use.  If it is Entec Pro compatable like the Lynks USB dongle, then you should be good to go and may be a good idea to go this route.  Then you know that you have one working unit which is all too important when you are trying to determine why a system is not functioning.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline GrumpkaXmas

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, »
As said before, the Express is a DMX device so this dongle will have no issue controlling it.  The only issue that you need to look into is what it is compatable with driver wise.  If the sequencing software doesn't understand how to communicate with it, then it's not going to be of much use.  If it is Entec Pro compatable like the Lynks USB dongle, then you should be good to go and may be a good idea to go this route.  Then you know that you have one working unit which is all too important when you are trying to determine why a system is not functioning.

EDIT:  Took the plunge and purchase the ActiDongle.   For $50.00, I just don't see anything much better.  A completed, well liked, well reviewed box ready to go, this was the best I could find....  I'm still interested in hearing any comments though.  Very interested.

Good points.  A bit more reading on my part is needed.  The Lynx system is really going to be my warm weather system for backyard light shows, and Halloween.  That's the time when a true DMX based system will be important.  I'm really wanting something to deal with DMX controlled lasers.  Right now, there is zero doubt the real Enttec, or a full compatible like ActiDongle should work perfect.  I would buy a Lynx dongle in a second, if I could get one under $50.00 shipped, that's my "risk/gamble ratio for the investment.  If I push that to $75- or $100.00, I'd rather just sit and save up for the new Enttec Mk2 or go with something like the DIYLED six port E1.31 bridge board. (that does Lynx and Renard and only $124.00 built!)

I'm 99% sure ActiDongle will do what I need, and really only about 10% sure about what the Lynx will do, when it's stated that it is intended to work with Vixen, other software might not work.   

In all cases, thanks guys for the feedback.  I'll keep on the search....
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, by GrumpkaXmas »

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, »
I like you at the beginning looked for a good quality DMX dongle to control my equipment and what I found was I would purchase some thing that some one else had built and had to rely on the fact that they where not having a bad day at the time. So As a former Enttec User I have to say for the money, I have found the Lynx usb DMX dongle blows most DMX dongles out of the water. I ran half of my show as wireless this past year with it and it never missed a beat, I also have two Ehter Dongles for this years additions. I also use 2-8 channel DMX LED lasers in my show and the Lynx dongle runs them perfectly along with other DMX devices. The nice thing about these is the build of it is in my control and if I have an issue I have many people here who will go out of there way to help me trouble shoot it and get it working properly. Until last year I had never soldered on an electronic device and now I just can not stop  ;D. I understand that some times there is a need to purchase an item with in a budget and keeping cost down. But in my experience over the last 3 years and the wife yelling at me for buying more stuff  <fp. the Lynx products have been rock solid and have saved me money that I can put into my other display items just my $0.02

Offline GrumpkaXmas

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, »
I like you at the beginning looked for a good quality DMX dongle to control my equipment and what I found was I would purchase some thing that some one else had built and had to rely on the fact that they where not having a bad day at the time. So As a former Enttec User I have to say for the money, I have found the Lynx usb DMX dongle blows most DMX dongles out of the water. I ran half of my show as wireless this past year with it and it never missed a beat, I also have two Ehter Dongles for this years additions. I also use 2-8 channel DMX LED lasers in my show and the Lynx dongle runs them perfectly along with other DMX devices. The nice thing about these is the build of it is in my control and if I have an issue I have many people here who will go out of there way to help me trouble shoot it and get it working properly. Until last year I had never soldered on an electronic device and now I just can not stop  ;D. I understand that some times there is a need to purchase an item with in a budget and keeping cost down. But in my experience over the last 3 years and the wife yelling at me for buying more stuff  <fp. the Lynx products have been rock solid and have saved me money that I can put into my other display items just my $0.02

Thank you Rich.  It's nice to hear about specifics on your success. That helps my confidence level.  I actually do have two lynx dongle pcb boards on the way.  Doing the BOM in the next week.  Regardless, of this actidongle, I want to build my Lynx dongles.  (that's a good learning experience for me).  I have a min soldering experience level.  Built some R.S. kits for fun w/ cheapo soldering iron.  Also had some min experience with midi based control boards and soldering leads off logic pins to create rj11 network driving 8 channel relay boards.  I loved it.  Just still a novice though.  Budget is about what is practical.  If I end up with five duds on my lynx express boards, I'd be upset at myself for wasting time on the lynx dongle.  On the other hand, if I get one or more lynx express boards going on a dongle I know already works, I'll be super motivated to get building my own and expand the hobby via DIY builds  ;D

I get the wife complaining anyway....What else is new. LOL.  $100 fluffy boots for her, and $100 control cards for me.. Fair is Fair. :P

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, »
Looking at the holiday coro website, it looks like the actidongle is enttec compatible. That being the case, you should be able to load the ftdi drivers and use it like any other enttec compatible DMX dongle... If you don't follow the directions and let windows install the drivers for you, there is a good chance it won't work... You have to use the ftdi drivers, not the Microsoft drivers... To windows, it looks like a serial port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline GrumpkaXmas

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, »
Looking at the holiday coro website, it looks like the actidongle is enttec compatible. That being the case, you should be able to load the ftdi drivers and use it like any other enttec compatible DMX dongle... If you don't follow the directions and let windows install the drivers for you, there is a good chance it won't work... You have to use the ftdi drivers, not the Microsoft drivers... To windows, it looks like a serial port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking this out for me.  I'll keep that in mind.  I'm assuming it will come with the driver or is on their website for download anyway.

Offline rm357

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, »
Usually it's best to download the driver - that ensures you have the most recent version.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, »
I'm sure the quality of your board at $100 is waaaaaay better then the quality of her fluffy boots.  But don't tell her I said it.

:)

Why didn't you consider an etherdongle though? Then you have options of adding pixels down the road
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline GrumpkaXmas

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, »
I'm sure the quality of your board at $100 is waaaaaay better then the quality of her fluffy boots.  But don't tell her I said it.

:)

Why didn't you consider an etherdongle though? Then you have options of adding pixels down the road

;D  She does so love those boots.

I'm just starting with the Actidongle based on price, ease, and success rates.  Pretty good reviews.

I realize RJ's stuff is top notch designs.   I'm just a bit intimidated right now.  Next up will be building the Lynx dongles (two of them) and I will slowly move to the ethernet dongle.   Pixels are not an interest right now.  When I can get an addressable LED string of 100 bulbs under $5.00, I might start to think about them.  Looking at the amazing deals I get on traditional LED minis, C7's, C9's and all the cool stuff I recently purchased,  my focus is on more traditional setups. I paid as little as .74 cents for a string of 25 C9' LEDs!  Even my 200 bulb mini strings were only $3.00 bucks a roll. 

I just don't need more than 200 or 300 channels anytime soon.   Hopefully, this dongle will give me the plug and play I need for testing purposes.   When I get a bit more money, I'll be on the trail of these better devices. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, »
The Lynks dongle is a DMX512 dongle and can control ANYTHING that is DMX.  Where the possible issue exists is in the compatibility with the sequencing software you will be using.  Some of the "higher end" software requires a response from the dongle to either auto-configure or to confirm the dongle is really an Enttec Pro since it uses some of the "built in" functions before it allows it to work.  If it doesn't get it, it assumes that the dongle either doesn't exist, is defective, or the user selected the wrong port or dongle type.  The Enttec Pro will respond to identification commands where the Lynks dongle does not.  The Lynks USB dongle also doesn't have the built in functions that the Enttec Pro has.  I'm not sure if the Actidongle does either and if not, then you are no better off than you are with the Lynks. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline GrumpkaXmas

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, »
The Lynks dongle is a DMX512 dongle and can control ANYTHING that is DMX.  Where the possible issue exists is in the compatibility with the sequencing software you will be using.  Some of the "higher end" software requires a response from the dongle to either auto-configure or to confirm the dongle is really an Enttec Pro since it uses some of the "built in" functions before it allows it to work.  If it doesn't get it, it assumes that the dongle either doesn't exist, is defective, or the user selected the wrong port or dongle type.  The Enttec Pro will respond to identification commands where the Lynks dongle does not.  The Lynks USB dongle also doesn't have the built in functions that the Enttec Pro has.  I'm not sure if the Actidongle does either and if not, then you are no better off than you are with the Lynks.

From what David's device claims, Actidongle should work with Freestyler.  That is the software I'm looking at, as it supports my Casa Laser.  I'm either using Vixen (which 100% positive both will work fine) and/or Freestyler (again, most anything works with Freestyler).   I will post on my findings and experience with the Actidongle if anyone was interested.   I see a lot of interest in Lynx though, which out of respect for RJ, maybe this is not a good subject?   I'm still not clear on this forum's traditions.  I assumed it is pretty open and not just Lynx based stuff?  Is that wrong on my part?  I have lynx, but will certainly be trying many designs by many inventors too.   

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, »
This forum is dedicated to Lynx products.  Information on other products may not be available here.  The best bet is to ask questions where the product originates.  For instance I am confused by your reference to a "freestyler"  In the lynx line we have a freestyle but no freestyler.  What product are you referring to?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA