Author Topic: wire colors  (Read 2786 times)

Offline kernal

Re: wire colors
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, »
Yes i do have some ...  albeit little...   skills that can help.  I was in the USN and worked on the armament system so i can trace problems...  but...   everything there had a schematic!   This is like learning it all over again.  I bought a new soldering station and it works like a champ!
Problem is i am a hands on type learner...  i need/want to attend a mini or something bigger, but just a matter of having one close enuf for me to attend! Part of why im asking about this now...  NOT October!   Haha...

Thanks for the help!
Shane
My license plate says blinky.

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: wire colors
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, »
Actually a schematic of the hub can be reverse engineered in 5 minutes.

1. Pixelnet coming out of the ether dongle on the RJ45 is Pins 1 & 2 is PN universe 1, Pins 3 & 4 is PN universe 2, Pins 5 & 6 is PN universe 3, and Pinst 7 & 8 is PN universe 4.

The signals to used by a particular hub is defined by the jumper pairs that then feeds 4 driver chips that feeds pins 1 and 2 of each column of RJ45 output jacks.
Pins 3, 4 and 5 are bound together and carry + power to the SSCs via the output jacks, and 6, 7 & 8 are bound together as the power ground.

If you just wanted to test 1 SSC you could build a cable that used pins 1 and 2 to plug into the etherdongle then a small 12v power supply, even a heavy duty dongle would work and inject the power into the Cat5 cable then plug it into the SSC. You could program the SSC to respond to what ever address within a single Pixelnet universe that you want to experiment with. That takes the hub completely out of the picture until you get your software configured correctly. I use a similar arrangement to test SSCs. I just use an old spare pixelnet dongle to test with.

Hope you are making progress.

Tom