Author Topic: Z16 new build problem  (Read 1766 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Z16 new build problem
« on: February 02, 2014, »
I've built my Z16, but I'm not having any luck getting the lights to come on.  Here is what I've done so far

1. Tested my Etd and string of lights using an active hub and a V3 SSC.  All good
2. Reflashed my pic for position 1 using an SSC V4 that has no cables attached.  verify looks ok, checksum looks ok
3. Put the chip back into the Zeus and ran the new programming utility (V2) to program the firmware.  Lights flash all white.
4. Power off the Zeus, move the program jumper to off, exit the programming utility, and repower up the Zeus
5. Bring up xlights test, select output to lights, select all channels, go to RGB, background only and try try the sliders.  This test works fine if connected to the active hub and SSC.
6. I've tried this with terminate on and off.  neither works

Now I'm stumped.  I've tried reflashing the firmware and reprogramming the chip and still cannot get lights to come on using xlights.  Probably something my feeble old brain is missing.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

Re: Z16 new build problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, »
Since the Zeus appears to be responding to the utility, it appears that the power and data connections are ok.  What channels are you setting the starting address to?  Are your starting channels below 4096?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, »
The posted picture is exactly what I used, i.e., chan 1  I always use channel 1 for anything new I build until I know it is working.  I also always start my testing by selecting all channels in xlights (8096 channels for me).  If that works then I go to individual channel testing, 1, then 2, then 3, 4 etc until Ive done enought that I feel all is well.  And maybe the last channel on the string or strip.  Just my methodology.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, »
Flash it again but try it with out using the utility. The firmware was set to channel 1 already so this would remove an issues from programming the start channel.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, »
Your methodology sounds good to me.  This is what was happening when people were using the wrong setting when setting up the Zeus with the utility.  I would mae sure that you have loaded the correct firmware into the PIC's Zeus and not SSC V4 and that you are using the current utility.  It looks to me like you may have loaded SSC firmware into the PIC's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, »
Well this 70+ old fart does not have an interest in Rock and Roll half times so I retreated to the workshop.  Reflashed the chip.  I'm using Zeus V6 hex.  Tried to get lights working, but no luck.  Went into programming mode and was once again rewarded with flashing white lights.  Powered off the unit and went back to run mode but still no luck.  Probably done for today, but will be back in the workshop in the morning.  Thats the good part of being retired.

Still open to more suggestions.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, »
You missed some interesting LED elements.

sent from my Galaxy Note