Author Topic: ETD issue on Power  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
ETD issue on Power
« on: February 06, 2014, »
My ETD works fine (DMX Firware) and when either I power up the ETD with a wall wort or from the Pickit3 the green light on the board comes on just fine.

However, one of the ETD's that does not work that I am troubleshooting because it does not output any data , if I connect the Pickit3 the LED does not light, but if I use the Wall wort the LED does light.

I know the Green LED is telling me the firmware is loaded and work.

Any suggestion on where to look for the problem.

I have compared my working ETD to the problem ETD and found nothing wrong so far.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline caretaker

Re: ETD issue on Power
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, »
Dennis, I'll presume the following with your sick Etd
1. The MAGjack lights work when it is connected to an ethernet source.
2. You have tried to Read the PIC to see if it has a stored program.

With those assumptions made is this Etd from a recent coop or a one of the first Etd coops? 
Double check your xTals,  it is real easy to get one in wrong or have a bad one.
Hold the board up to the light and check the pins on the PIC,  except for 2 there should be no shorted ones.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, »
Try flashing the pic with the etherdongle plugged in. That worked for me.

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, »
Dennis, I'll presume the following with your sick Etd
1. The MAGjack lights work when it is connected to an ethernet source.
2. You have tried to Read the PIC to see if it has a stored program.

With those assumptions made is this Etd from a recent coop or a one of the first Etd coops? 
Double check your xTals,  it is real easy to get one in wrong or have a bad one.
Hold the board up to the light and check the pins on the PIC,  except for 2 there should be no shorted ones.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I am not at the point yet of connecting the ETD to an Ethernet source. Reason is I am trying to verify if the Pic32's are programmed correctly first. This has become an issue as the Pickit3 software is giving me an error that nothing verifies and just get the fail message. This was done on two ETD with pixelnet (unknown firmware not working device) and one with DMX firmware that does work correctly. Until I am comfortable and know if the Pic32 firmware is loaded correctly using the Pickit3 i see no reason to go to the next step.

Tried "reading" the firmware (Checksum Pixelnet= 6ddf) and DMX=69de) it completes and then hit the "verify" button, it fails, then tried to import the hex file and do a verify also and that fails on all three units. Not posted in the Wiki what these should be.

All components have been checked against a working unit.

Question: Is it normal for the "Read" to take a long time, about 10 minutes?

UPDATE: Cannot use Version 3 it errors out on loading the program, but version 3.1 is what will come up on my computer.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, »
A number of users have had and posted about problems programming with the pickit3 where they had update some firmware for it to work correctly for some reason. I know there are some other threads about it. As said make sure you power your ETD then plug the pickit in to program it. It can dram more power than the pickit is happy about and cause the programming to fail.

Hope it is not a pickit issue. If you can't get anywhere with it after some other suggestions send it to me and I will look at it for you.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, »
Thanks for your suggestions.
I am not at the point yet of connecting the ETD to an Ethernet source. Reason is I am trying to verify if the Pic32's are programmed correctly first. This has become an issue as the Pickit3 software is giving me an error that nothing verifies and just get the fail message. This was done on two ETD with pixelnet (unknown firmware not working device) and one with DMX firmware that does work correctly. Until I am comfortable and know if the Pic32 firmware is loaded correctly using the Pickit3 i see no reason to go to the next step.

Tried "reading" the firmware (Checksum Pixelnet= 6ddf) and DMX=69de) it completes and then hit the "verify" button, it fails, then tried to import the hex file and do a verify also and that fails on all three units. Not posted in the Wiki what these should be.

All components have been checked against a working unit.

Question: Is it normal for the "Read" to take a long time, about 10 minutes?

UPDATE: Cannot use Version 3 it errors out on loading the program, but version 3.1 is what will come up on my computer.
No, when ever I read back the info from a PIC it only takes a second, about the same time it take to load a hex file.  Make sure your PicKit3 applacation version is 1.0.0.0  I have never had any problems programing a PIC using that version. That said if you can find someone near you that has a PicKit3 try theres and see if you have the same problems, it could be you have a flaky PicKit3.

Jeff Squires