Author Topic: BOM for SSC, etherdongle, hub, etc?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline danj

BOM for SSC, etherdongle, hub, etc?
« on: February 06, 2014, »
I am learning about SSC, etherdongle, hub, etc.  WHen I read the BOM on the Mouser web page, I only see chips, resistors, caps, etc.  Where do I find the PCB itself????  I know this is a really ignorant question.....  But what you don't know you don't know, right?
LOR user with 16 AC channels
E682 user with 360 RGB channels

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: BOM for SSC, etherdongle, hub, etc?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, »
The Wiki has links to all the product manuals which contains step by step assembly instructions. Each step shows where on the PCB the part is to be installed. These instructions also includes a parts list as well.

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, »
No dumb questions on here at all.  There is a "Store" tab up in the top red panel.  Currently, many of the PCBs are sold out as they are only ordered as part of a Coop. The Coops should be starting pretty soon and you can save a significant amount of money by joining one and you'll get not only the PCB but the BOM for it as well.  After the Coop is completed, then the boards will generally be made available through the DLA store.

Duane

Offline danj

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, »
Excellent.  Thanks very much Duane.  Info appreciated!!!!

Offline galgon

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, »
Just an FYI that the Hub coop has just started so you can get in on it now.  If you go to the current Coop forum and click the notify button toward the top of the page you can have emails sent to you when a new topic is started so that you do not miss out on a coop.

- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, »
I was hoping that there would be a redesign of the hub but maybe next year.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was hoping that there would be a redesign of the hub but maybe next year.

Like a new design with different fuses, as I sit here and fix a couple on a hub :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, »
Yea, that and possibly of setting the universe of ech port seperatly like is being discussed with the Zeus.

Offline danj

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, »
Thx very much for the heads-up on the COOP.  Haven't decided how I am going to configure this year.  I made the RGB jump last year (my first year to synch) with an E682.  I had very good service from it and was very very pleased with Jim St. John's assistance with my first-time-RGB ignorance.

I was thinking about driving my pixel megatree with two E682s this year and maybe using some SSCs to drive my arches.  Any advice in this ballpark?  Can I mix up E1.31 & pixelnet and be successful??
Thanks.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, »
Just like USB (serial), E1.31 is just the interface protocol from your computer out to control the lights.

There are both E1.31 and USB versions of a Pixelnet dongle interface. Pixelnet is the protocol that is used by a hardware interface to communicate with your lights.

Kind of like this:

Computer output (serial/usb/ethernet) ----> control interface (pixelnet/DMX/E682/artnet etc) ------> lights.

With E1.31 you can have almost any light control protocol running in your display. You software just has to have the ability to drive the E1.31 Ethernet interface.

That is as about as simple as I can explain it.

Tom

Offline danj

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, »
Tom:
That's great info.  I appreciate it.  Wasn't sure if I needed to "choose one protocol" over another (E1.31 or pixelnet in this example).  Sounds like the answer is no that is not necessary.  So, I think I will go ahead & get in on some SSC-related COOPs and plan on running SSCs in addition to E682(s) for my Christmas 2014 setup.
THANKS!!!!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, »
You will still need a device that puts out PixelNet.  If you are going with E1.31 then I would suggest the ETD. That is also am E1.31 device and it puts out PixelNet.

Offline danj

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, »
Thanks Tbone.   I figured this is the time I need to decide how I am going to approach the hardware/electronics for my 2014 display, since this is the time of year for COOPs and for companies' presales!!   I believe I will run my arches with SSCs, then, and run my megatree with E682(s).  Info very much appreciated!!!!!!  This will be yet another interesting-learning-experience Christmas!!

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, »
You might also want to watch the for sale section here as well. Many times someone will have surplus items that are already assembled and tested long before coops occur. I know, I know it is a do it yourself hobby but sometimes one may not feel exactly comfortable assembling a unit at first.

Offline danj

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, »
I will keep my eyes open.  Thanks for the info!