Author Topic: Furthered single strand control  (Read 1884 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Furthered single strand control
« on: February 10, 2014, »
I don't know if this is a feature request or a way to find out if something like this is currently possible.

I'm wondering how to have a more defined way to control a RGB string.  For example, with a 120 node string, having the ability to turn it on 40 nodes at each timing mark.

Other examples:
  • Turning only the 2 sides or the 2 tops of a window frame ON
  • Having a 40 node arch with the ability to turn half of the arch ON at a beat and then turn the other half ON at the next beat. 

Would this best be done in an external sequencer after exporting from Nutracker?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

Re: Furthered single strand control
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, »
Just create another model with those duplicate nodes.  I think it was decided, after Sean looked into the code, that models to the right side of the grid overlayed models on the left side of the grid at the same timing mark.

So you can have a model of window tops and window bottoms.  Just draw them close to each other in the visualizer and you can do what you are after.

In LSP we do that with Layers and only have to draw the model once.

Alan

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, »
Just create another model with those duplicate nodes.  I think it was decided, after Sean looked into the code, that models to the right side of the grid overlayed models on the left side of the grid at the same timing mark.

So you can have a model of window tops and window bottoms.  Just draw them close to each other in the visualizer and you can do what you are after.

Alan

I was afraid something like this was going to be the suggestion.  I had thought of doing something like that but then you end up with so many models required to achieve the effects.  Just seems like there's got to be a better way.

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, »
Perhaps someday it will be better, or perhaps they can do sub-models that cascade.  But I often find the less tasteful, or available now way gets the show going and maybe someday will come!

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, »

Alan

I was afraid something like this was going to be the suggestion.  I had thought of doing something like that but then you end up with so many models required to achieve the effects.  Just seems like there's got to be a better way.

what you desribe is a better way. i just dont know if it will make the cut this year. i think we now have a list of over 80 things people have requested. i am going to make an online poll so that people can vote for what they want to see this year.

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, »
Even when creating sub models there are only certain things you can't do or things that get very difficult to do.  If you were wanting to turn on half of string's nodes (every other node ON) then turn the other half ON on the next beat of the song, this would be something that's not possible even by creating sub-models. A great example of further string control is in the video of another person's display that can be seen at 9:08 and again at 9:20.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

I realize that the greatest capabilities of nutcracker sequencing is when dealing with megatrees or matrices, but if there was a way for more control on single strands then the software will become that much more powerful.  If this is something that would need to be done in vixen or some outside sequencer then that's fine too.  Either way, I can't complain about nutracker as a whole.

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, »
It is on mg plsn to greatly enhance single strands. Stay tuned
Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, »
It is on mg plsn to greatly enhance single strands. Stay tuned
Q

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely looking forward to it.  Thanks for the continued improvements Sean!