Author Topic: USB Cable Length  (Read 1290 times)

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
USB Cable Length
« on: May 08, 2009, »
Apologies if this is answered somewhere, but a quick search didn't turn up anything significant.

I keep seeing references that indicate using a longer USB cable between the dongle and the computer can help when having problems.  What potential problems does this solve and what does having the longer cables do (electrically)? 

Thanks!
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bugless

Re: USB Cable Length
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, »
I'm not sure if DMX changes this at all but here's what I found at USB.org...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Doug

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Apologies if this is answered somewhere, but a quick search didn't turn up anything significant.

I keep seeing references that indicate using a longer USB cable between the dongle and the computer can help when having problems.  What potential problems does this solve and what does having the longer cables do (electrically)? 

Thanks!

I'm sorry for the delay I am trying to play catch up on everything the last few days.

There is no problem it resolves. It is because I know that many short cables are built cheaply because they can normally get away with it. The usb stuff on the dongle is all handled by the USB module and a very few usb ports seem to be picky about cables when using it.

Personally this started because I like haveing a little longer USB cable to give me flexibilty of were I can put it.

But when someone had a problem finding a cable that it seemed to like, I recommend buying a longer cable instead of the short ones he was buying as a side way of getting a better shielded cable.  while you can find short cheaply shielded cable easily, the longer ones tend to all be sheilded better and larger conductor. It is just a backdoor to getting a better cable.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline cBell

• Christmas in Brewster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, »
That makes sense.  Thanks RJ!
-Chris
Follow my journey: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login