Author Topic: Zeus build (SOLVED)  (Read 3967 times)

Offline therealbigjim

Zeus build (SOLVED)
« on: March 05, 2014, »
I completed my Zeus build the other day and have had no luck getting any light out put at all. I plug it in and I get the power light. I have the program jumper on.  I checked the chips are installed in the proper orientation and used the ver 2 start channel program. I doubled checked the components cleaned the flux off the back of the board. I just got a work light with a magnifying lens and inspected the board for solder bridges and found none. I then swapped the chips from the first channel with a chip from my second Zeus kit and still no lights. Eather Dongle is transmitting and I am using known good cables. I am using the smart string 64 node string from the wiki. I ordered it from Ray last October. The only CCR 's I have are ver #1s so I can't reflash the chips. I feel the problem is above the channel chips because none of the outputs are flashing the lights. Gonna build the my second kit tonight and see if I have any better luck. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, by therealbigjim »
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

Re: Zues build
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, »
A CCR is a Cosmic Color Ribbon.  I believe that you mean a SSC or Smart String Controller.  I believe that your issue is that the PIC's are not programmd or not prgrammed correctly.  There is a list of people that will program chips and you may want to look there to see if someone on it can reflash a few for you to see what happens.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, »
Did you use the Zeus version of the Smart String Utility to program the Zeus board?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, »
Sorry to mix my equipment abbrevations I did mean SSC.  I do have a Pickit #3  but have read you need a SSC v4 to flash the chips . I only have SSC ver #1s ( most of whitch are not working as I am finding out) I do have the full Pickit #3 and if I can use any of the chip flashers, holders I will. I was under the impression the chips came programmed with this most recent Zues coop, if not I will get them flashed one way or another. I did use the Zues verson of the Smart String Uility. Last night I spent an hour connecting and flashing SSCs to make sure I had good working strings. One problem is I don't have any pig tails ( forgot to order them when I got my lights) so I am soldering the strings to the SSC to test them. I am having problems getting those to addressed also. The test hex seems to work fine but when I flash them with the standard hex I dont' get the white flashing telling me they addressed.
 So I seem to have made myself a hole by ordering stuff and jumping around project to project. I didn't have lights to test my SSC's when I built them, and due to my rushed Christmas seasion when I got the lights I never tested them.  <fp.       

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, »
Well, the SSC's are simpler to troubleshoot and get going so you have a base to work forward from.

So you have what exactly in hardware for SSC's.

DO ANY of your SSC's function 100% for sure?

What exact pixel strings are you trying to use, a link to the supplier site would help with part number.

Then we can eliminate one problem at a time, simplify your journey and reduce your stress.

Alan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, »
Lets not get too crazy here.  If the test firmware is working, then there is nothing wrong with the string.  I would put the Zeus aside for now and look at the real problem.  It appears that you are probably not communicating with the SSC and probably not the Zeus either.  What are you using between the PC and the SSC to send the configuration information?  Is the output device flashed for PixelNet?  Remember that while a hub is needed to work with the SSC, it is NOT needed and shouldn't be used with the Zeus.  Actually, if you plug the Zeus into one of the hubs controller outputs, you will damage the Zeus.  With the SSC, make sure that the hub is set to universe 1.

Offline therealbigjim

Re: Zeus build
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, »
tbone 123,  When testing the Zeus it was connected to the ED that is flashed for Pixelnet. I was not using the active hub. I used the Zeus version of the smart string utility set to start  channel 1, forward, no null nodes - 64 node string RGB. transmitted but no white flashing. I tried several outputs and got the same thing.  I thought the the chips had been flashed with the coop so I started testing the lights, breaking out the SSCs and the hub. That when I found I had several non functioning SSCs .  The strings were connected correctly with the big chip side as the input.

awr01,   My SSC's are version #1 and were built two years ago and have been collecting dust. I have 16 total and have 4 with the test hex flashing lights now. I just don't have more then a hour or so at night to work on them. I have 8, 128 node LED pixel string ;DC12V input;new model,IP68;TM1804IC. I bought these last October but never tested until last night. I was planning to half the strings for a 15 or so ft mega tree using the Zeus. I have a working active hub and a working pixelnet Eather-Dongle. I flashed my 10 DSC and they all work fine. Tonight I will finish wading through the SSCs. I am flashing them with the current hex from the wiki using  my Pickit#3. I guess once I have the strings tested I will have another go at the Zeus.   

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, »
One thing that I would get is a terminal block.  You can get that from the Shack.  Then you can solder 3 wires to a known functioning SSC (with test firmware) and connect them to one side of the terminal block.  Then you can use the other side of the terminal block to connect the other light strings for testing without the need to resolder or cross twisted wire pairs.  All you need is 1 working light set to continue debugging but this setup will let you wor on all of them.  The next step would be to setup the system again and connect one of your DSC's and make sure that you can control it.  If so, then that confirms that the EDT, the hub, and cables are all working properly.  Then you can take one of the known working SSC's and reflash it with the operating firmware and see if you can configure it.  If you don't get the flash then check the 485 and make sure that it is installed correctly.  Also make sure that you are using the correct update program for the SSC and that the settings are correct for the light strings and the dongle being used.

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, »
Good news on 4 functioning..  if the strings flash they are good for what we need.

So with the ed, the hub, a ssc, and a string reflashed to the operating firmware.  can you run the xlights test and get them to chase, transform colors etc?

Alan

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, »
I sill can't get anything to take a start channel. The SSCs are runnung the test hex but I am having a mixed bag of results. I got the termanal block tbone suggested and that helped. I placed a 128 node string on the SSC and applied power. It began to cycle but after a few minutes it froze on white. I unplugged it and replugged it and it began to cycle again. I noticed when on all white there one or two nodes that were not. as it cycled it went to all red, blue then an array of colors and dark notes, then white the same cycle then lock up. I changed to the cut 64 node string and got nearly the same result. If there that many bade nodes in just 1 and 1/2 strings it makes me wanna give it all up. I am going to have to go back to square one and pull all the SSCs apart and get at least one good working unit so I can burn in the lights.  <fp. Getting a little discurreged.   When will there be a team speak session when I can walk through this mess? 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, »
Make sure there are no wires in contact with each other at the end of your strings -- that will cause crazy behaviors and sometimes failures ... I always cut the end with a staggered cut and dip them in the liquid electrical tape.

So can explain your exact setup better.  Your not using a SSC with the zeus, right?  A picture of the setup would be helpful.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, »
Don't get too discurraged just yet.  You are not going through anything that many of us have also gone through.  The advantage here is that many of us already have which means that we have some of the answers.  The lights turning all white is an issue with the Version 1 SSC.  The problem is that the Ver 1 (and Ver 2) SCC doesn't output a high enough signal voltage which can cause the light string to malfunction and lockup on all white.  The Ver 3 mod will clear up this issue.   As said before, set the system up again and use one of your DSC's and a string and make sure that you can control it.  If you can, that proves that the hardware (hub, cables, ETD) is all working properly.  As a final test, you may want to set up the configuration utility and see if you can change the stating address of the DSC.  If so, then you can plug the SSC into the same cable that the DSC was an try and set up its configuration.  I would also set up a SSC test string consisting of a few nodes.  You don't need a 120 node string to confirm the programming of an SSC and large strings may introduce other issues that have nothing to do with the controller.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, »
Not having a strong enough power supply will also cause string that lock up on white. White takes more current so the voltage will be lower and may be too low if the power supply can not supply the current easily. This make the controller in each node to lockup where it is which is white.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, »
I was able to control a DSC and change the start channel to #1 then back to #527.
R.J. I have a 550w ULTRA ATX power supply. So I have a working dongle and hub. I was able to get a SSC programmed to channel  1 and had the lights cycle in x lights. I again connected lights to the Zeus and nothing. I guess I will flash the Zeus chips  next.

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, »
I set up the jsys icsp14 per the wiki and flashed all the Zeus chips. I run the set up program and set the start channel. I have 4 sets of 64 strings. The 4 strings all flash white. I power down the Zeus hub, move the program jumper. I start x-lights run the test and....nothing......