Author Topic: First order of smart strings  (Read 1620 times)

Offline PIC

First order of smart strings
« on: March 16, 2014, »
I have ordered and started assembly of the etherdongle, ssc, active hub, and a zeus8.  Finally ready to order some smart strings. 
Any recommendations on other items I need to order when i order from Ray wu?  Connectors, wire, tester??.  Don't want to order then realize I missed something when it arrives.
164 Channels
2 Ren64, 1 Ren16, 1 Ren24
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree
1- 12 Channel Spiral Tree
Plan to start RGB next year.

Offline therealbigjim

Re: First order of smart strings
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, »
Water proof pig tails 3 or 4 core. Thats what I did not order and its a pain in the butt to test and build stuff.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login I use a testing a lot to validate they work both before and after splicing quick connectors onto them ... And after installing the into display elements.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, »
He also has this one:

I would add to your list

T's
caps for the pigtails
wire (hard to find a better price)  I bought 100m or 4 conductor that I will likely never use all of it, but for $35 or so, it's worth just having it for that time you need it.

silicon caps if you are using the strips and have to cut them

I'm ordering a box of JST connectors as well for some other elements that I want easy removal and the pigtails are too big to fit (porcupine balls elements)

I would suggest having Ray's folks test each pigtail before they ship them, even if it costs you a couple of dollars, he's had some on-going quality issues with those, especially 4 core

easy dmx address boards  (let you drop an odd item here or there in the yard)

some of his other little odd boards, they are cheap and never know what you might do with them

a couple short strings of nodes like 25, the come in handy here and there and for testing, and then you are not cutting up your long strings

email ray for a shipping quote from your order, if you didn't know about that, it can save a few dollars.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, »
Keep in mind that $3 tester only appears to be for ws2811 pixels only
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, »
3 core and 4 core wire as well.... not just the pigtails!

Also, if you are going to do any DMX stuff and need any XLR jacks, he has the male/female plugs for them. One last thing - is his 27 channel controller. if you are doing any coro-singing displays then even though the DSCs are good, the controller is easier on the wallet.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline PIC

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, »
Great Feedback.  I really appreciate it.  Plan to research the suggestions tonight and place order this week.  Hopefully start programming pics later this week for the controllers and get ready for the strings when they arrive.
164 Channels
2 Ren64, 1 Ren16, 1 Ren24
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree
1- 12 Channel Spiral Tree
Plan to start RGB next year.

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, »
Keep in mind that $3 tester only appears to be for ws2811 pixels only

I wonder if that is really the case.  We don't tell our SSC's we are using different chips in the leds, they just are compatible with what we buy.  So I would expect that little tester would work with a few, but for $3.00 I'll risk it.

Alan