Author Topic: Etherdongle PIC Programming  (Read 1777 times)

Offline PIC

Etherdongle PIC Programming
« on: March 30, 2014, »
I have been trying to start RGB for the last 2 years and finally started getting all the equipment.  I have a Etherdongle, Active Hub, SSCv4 boards, and a Zeus 8.  I also purchased a PicKit2 Starter Kit and a Pickit3.
I decided to start the programming the PICS this weekend.  I have installed the MPLAB software.  Downloaded the PicKit3 application from the wiki.

When I run the PicKit3 application it does not recognize that I have the pickit3 connected.

I tried looking through the forum but I am a not sure what to do next.  Any help would be appreciated.
164 Channels
2 Ren64, 1 Ren16, 1 Ren24
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree
1- 12 Channel Spiral Tree
Plan to start RGB next year.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Etherdongle PIC Programming
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, »
Try starting MPlab and then plugging the Pickit in. Sometimes it wants to update the firmware.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline PIC

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, »
Thanks I will try when I get home this evening.  Couple other questions.  Do I plug the dc adapter into the ether dongle while trying to program? 
is pic preprogrammed from the coop.   Maybe no need to program?  I get the green light when I plug in the dc adapter.  Thanks for all help.
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, »
The PIC is not flashed from the coop.  My pickit 3 is in the process of being replaced.  I have received lots of information on the Pickit 3 and flashing the chips from Microchip tech support while in the process of troubleshooting my Pickit 3.  I plan to write up my notes after I get my replacement unit and post them for all to see.  There are some new tools available to use and too many voices talking about what to do which makes it very confusing in my mind.  Hopefully I will have my replacement unit in the next couple of days and can test all the info that I received from microchip.  In the meantime you might also try using a different USB cable, that has helped some folks and power should be connected when you are flashing the chip.  I use flashing to discuss loading firmware and programming to discuss configuring the firmware after it has been flashed in order to avoid confusion.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline PIC

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, »
I got mplab ide v8.92  To recognize my pickit3.  Thanks RJ that worked. 
Can I flash the etherdongle from this or do I need to use the pickit3 app from the wiki ?
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline PIC

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, »
Not quite yet.  Detected but would not connect.  Switched usb ports and it connected and updated the firmware on the pickit3.  Trying to use pickit3 app next.
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree

Offline PIC

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, »
Ok.  I got it.  I guess it was just a different usb port.  Crazy?? Thanks for the help guys.  Good luck jnealand.  Love to see your info on the pic programming.
164 Channels
1- 24 Channel Mega Tree