Author Topic: under cabinet lighting  (Read 2728 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: under cabinet lighting
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, »
anyone have an answer? don't want to seem impatient, but I have the wall open right now and I need to get it closed real soon. cathedral ceiling above the cabinets so fishing it after I put the drywall back would be next to impossible. thanks
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, »
I think the max distance depends on the number of nodes and the total distance of the string. You want to make sure the voltage drop at the end of the string doesn't cause issues.

Others have said that they ran up to 18' without issues. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I would wire a test strip with the lengths you want and test each color to make sure it works.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, »
I'm using this in my kitchen connected to a power supply using a wall switch to turn it off/on.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I have one section that goes roughly 6 -7 feet between cabinets because of a window and another section about another  5 -6 feet because of the microwave and I don't see a drop at all at the very end.  Wife loves it now that its in.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, »
I can get to left side through the steps to basement as that one wall is accessible. I will struggle to get to right side though even pulling out fridge and drilling through cabinet is possible but will add complications if I wanted to control all the lights together. Any thoughts on how I might be able to tackle this?

Ryan, Have you looked at running a wire along the top of the cabinets and then coming either thru the top in the back corner or many times there are small openings between cabinets that a small wire can be threaded thru.  That is how I ran power for my old style flourescent strips.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, by jnealand »
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, »
I believe you are right... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is the install guide. I know there is the bar across the top the cabinets hang from, and then a bit of a spacer at the bottom. I can easily go around the vent in the cabinet above the stove top and then maybe sneak in the back again on the right side....it will be a bit tricky, but with that 3 core cable i have I might be able to fish it through. my fish string is probably not going to make it because of the end on it, but i'm only going 2' up. I wish she would of asked for this BEFORE we did the tile....
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, »
From underneath the cabinets look for space between them, that is how I found my openings.  If you can't get you head in there use a mirror and a good flashlight.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, »
If you are using smart strings, the primary issue with the space between nodes is the control signal, not so much the voltage drop.  I would determine the length and set them on the counter with that length of wire between the sections and see if you can control all of the sections.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving