Author Topic: Channel always on  (Read 1971 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Channel always on
« on: May 10, 2014, »
I had several expresses come out of the winter with a channel or two always on.  For all but one, I changed the Triacs and the problems went away.  For my last express, I swapped in a new Triac and opto chip but the channel is still stuck on.  I suppose my new triac could be bad as well but that seems unlikely.  Is there another failure point that can leave a channel on?  At last resort, I will try another Triac, but these are a beast to swap out!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
Re: Channel always on
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, »
Which channel?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, »
Channel 1.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, »
Ok Channel one has nothing special about it so it triggers by the pic grounding the low voltage side of the opto coupler and this turn on the high voltage side of the opto coupler. Look for an issue on the socket of the opto, or the trace to the pic. You can remove the opto chip and if the chanel is still on you have a bad triac as they would be nothing to trigger even if the pic was trying to.

RJ

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, »
The lights did not come on with opto chip out.  I took a closer look at the board.  Reflowed joints that were part of channel 1 - still no go.  I then took a tooth brush to the opto chip socket and ran it over the socket a few times.  Replaced the opto chip and issue resolved.  This may very well point to a weak spot on my particular board but I really don't want to remove the socket.  I hope it stays running.
Thanks RJ for your help.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, »
More than welcome.

RJ

Offline barbotte

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, »
wow that was good news for you .... i guess i will try your step as channel 14 on mine stay on all time but the led onboard the LE is not ,,, wish me luck ,,cheer

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
wow that was good news for you .... i guess i will try your step as channel 14 on mine stay on all time but the led onboard the LE is not ,,, wish me luck ,,cheer

Normally this is a Triac or Opto chip bad.

RJ

Offline barbotte

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, »

Normally this is a Triac or Opto chip bad.

RJ
yep it was the triack ..thank for the info .. now i need to figure out why the wireless wont receive.... but that is another topic  ,,, cheer