Author Topic: LE and active hub video  (Read 1698 times)

Offline vstar

LE and active hub video
« on: May 16, 2014, »
is there a tutorial video that shows how to set up lynx equipment.... lynx express ,zuess and active hub the sequencing is so easy with vixen 3 I have 5 LE and I am also going to be using rgb this year I am not a computer guy at all easier to follow the videos
thanks
john

Offline danj

Re: LE and active hub video
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, »
Same here.  I also would love to see a video on the DLA components.  I will be using DLA hubs this year and am in the same boat; 2nd year newbie here.....
LOR user with 16 AC channels
E682 user with 360 RGB channels

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, »
The basic configuration looks something like this:
                                                                                                                                         <--------> RGB SS Lights
PC <---network----> Etherdongle <-------> SS-HUB1<--PN(out#1)----> Zeus1 <-------> Zeus2 <-------> RGB SS Lights
                                                                           <---(port 1/of/16)-----> SSC1 <---------> RGB SS Lights
                                                                           <---(port 2/of/16)-----> SSC2 <----------> RGB SS Lights
                                                                           <---(PN(out#2)----> SS-HUB2
                                                                           <---(DMX512 out)----> (on pixelnet universe selected, usually on ch#1-512)
                                                                                                             (do not assign pixelnet channels to the first 512 if
                                                                                                               using DMX channels as they are SHARED, basically
                                                                                                               pixelnet channels work fine but are also being
                                                                                                               converted to DMX on the DMX-out port for the
                                                                                                               DMX universe selected via. jumper, normally 1)

Sometimes the connection to the PC looks like this instead:
PC <---network---> Hub or router <-------> Lynx Etherdongle <------> SS-HUB
                                  OR   
PC <---network---> Hub or router <-------> Lynx Etherdongle#1 (first 16k channels) <------>
                                                  <--------> Lynx Etherdongle#2 (second 16k channels) <----->

One powerful thing I discovered was that I could hook up a Lynx DMX Tx to the Active Hub DMX512 out port.
What this did was allow me to put all those 512 DMX channels into wireless real quick.

Then by added a Lynx Ex/Rx board to each Lynx Express, they could get their DMX signal from the Lynx Tx and I basically could control a bunch of express controllers wirelessly.  I run them up to the roof, across to my neighbors house ... never had an issue with range at all.  You can also go back to a wired connection from a Lynx Express if you want, so I do this a lot:

SS-HUB ----(DMX512 out port)----->  Lynx Tx ----->> (wireless)
                                                                               (wireless) <<------- Lynx Express#1 <---cat5---> LE#2 (wired) <---> LE#3
                                                                                                              w/Ex/Rx board                   
                                                                               (wireless) <<------- Lynx Express#4
                                                                                                              w/Ex/Rx board

You really need to spend some time watching the videos to understand it properly.  I bet many others have done videos, but these are the ones I know of.

Check out the WIKI page on Smart Strings:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I would honestly watch Sean' videos on xlights/nutcracker for the setup on that side.  Its really quite simple.

For an overview of the Lynx boards and Smart Strings -- watch RJ' videos.  You can look at many more once you are on his vimeo page (just click on videos).

Lone Star Academy Presentation by RJ -- excellent overview!

These older videos that RJ did are very helpful as an introduction to smart strings and the lynx hardware in general.  Keep in mind that software utilities and boards have undergone minor enhancements since then, but the basic operation is pretty much the same. 

This video shows the basics of smart strings, its a bit dated (showing a USB dongle instead of an etherdongle).

This video shows the basics of a SS hub, controller and hooked up to an etherdongle I believe.  It's a bit dated, but should still be accurate.  You can test this stuff using xlights in the test tab (assuming you have done the setup tab first).

Walkthrough of RJ' show from a few years back.

Newer stuff:
Using the Conductor:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, »
Scots' post deserves to be put in the wiki IMHO.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline vstar

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, »
thanks scott will check out the videos this is my third year the videos just make it much easier for me I just follow along really appreciate the info

thanks  John